There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Technical Project Manager

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule and interesting projects

Cons

Conversion of contract to perm - opted not to take the job as current salary was much lower than contract rate

none

857 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

Good company values, but just "okay" collegues

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Company has a strong moral compass. You can sleep well at night
    -Very good relationship with employees. Seldom do you see layoffs, division removals, etc..
    -Clients like doing business with the company (for the most part - see below)
    -If you are smart and work hard, easy to move up quicker than other companies

Cons

-Technology is very dated. Most employees still run Office 2003 and Windows XP, along with mainframe applications
    -Employees tend to be older and have little ambition. This creates a workforce of people who are not good at innovating and are averse to change
    -Client-facing technology is also dated, and this makes it hard for clients to do business with Schwab. This also creates many client escalations and stress-points
    -Pay and bonuses are lower than other broker/dealers

Move your stale, non-innovative employees out of the company. Shift away from mainframe and get the company into the 21st century. Stop telling everyone you are a "Challenger Brand" when you hardly ever innovate on anything important. It's annoying and no employees believe in it.

A highly trained monkey...

Current Employee - Registered Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers are a lot of fun - and that's about all I like. I'm writing more now to meet the 20 word minimum, but there's nothing redemptive about this job or this company.

Cons

Low pay - among the lowest in the industry. I have a Series 7 and 63 license, and I make less than $40 grand a year.
    Miserable job - it's entirely reactive, unimaginative, and passive. There's no room for creativity or growth or development or even individual thought.
    Bad Technology - the computers barely work, they're still stuck running DOS systems, and their idea of an upgrade is Windows 8.
    Limited Advancement - They think that a lateral move is a promotion. They promise raises without coming through on it.
    Schedules - rigid, unreasonable schedules. You can't get time off, you can't trade shifts, and 30 minute assigned lunch breaks (mine is at 10:00 am - it's such a treat).

All in all, you're treated like a child - told when to show up and when to leave, no flexibility in your schedule or your time. No independent thought, no creativity, no real opportunities. It's not a career - it's a job. And a low-paying job at that.

I don't mind an empty, unfulfilling job that is not challenging or interesting or fun, but at least compensate us well for it. The clients range from clueless to hostile, and we're stuck dealing with it with "positive language". We don't have an opportunity to grow, and there's no real incentive to work hard, because even at our best, we're only getting the lousy salary you give us.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!