Charles Schwab

www.schwab.com

Not What It Appears

Client Services (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- work/life balance
- great coworkers
- decent benefits
- company invests heavily in continuing education/licensing

Cons- lower than industry average pay/bonuses
- not much room for advancement
- not very innovative
- technology is beyond terrible

I read numerous reviews before being hired about the technology (or should I say lack thereof) but seeing is believing and it's every bit as bad as people said it was. It's demoralizing to say the least when you're constantly being compared to Fidelity or being asked by clients why your company can't innovate. They are lagging behind when it comes to technology not only for external clients but internally as well. Windows 2003? Come on, Schwab. I had such an old version of Excel that I couldn't even open some spreadsheets sent to me by clients. That's a MAJOR problem but Schwab's management doesn't seem too concerned.

The pay is also lower than the industry average but it's not terrible. The opportunities for advancement are more of a sore spot than the pay in my opinion. I was told BY MY MANAGER that promotions are given when it's cheaper for them to bump you up to the next pay grade than give you another raise. Did I mention that was told to me BY MY MANAGER?! Who says stuff like that to their employees??? There haven't been any openings in my department but I've noticed in other departments that there doesn't seem to be much promotion from within. There is not a lot of cultivating of internal talent and that has a huge effect on morale.

It's not a horrible company by any means but it's definitely not a place to stay for 10 years either. My recommendation? Unless some things change around here, start your career here and leave once you've got the name on your resume.

For the most part this was a good work environment

Administrator (Former Employee) Coppell, TX

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great benefits, friendly co-workers and good location Cons: Working long hours during month end. Managers micro manage Advice to Senior Management: Management needs to stop micro-managing More

Decent, but behind the times

Managing Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Disciplined, financially prudent and ethical. Quality people and diversified… Cons: Uninspiring leadership and way too many employees retired in place. Fun is limited as… Advice to Senior Management: Rally the troops with a clear and aligned strategy. Toss the dead weight. Don't be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Charles Schwab.

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!