There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Great Group of People to work for

Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management makes you feel like a valuable asset to the company, not just a number. Great benefits and paid time off.

Cons

Call center environment. Small bank with limited ability for growth at this time.

873 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

Working here could be so much better

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, decent benefits (in line with industry), generally good work-life balance,

Cons

Highly political environment. Big and slow moving. Very conservative and so lots of red tape. Each day appears filled with endless presentations about what we're going to do and not many people actually doing the work. Yet everyone seems to have to justify their job by constantly complaining about how busy they are

Encourage more promotion from within. Be more aggressive with progress and more ruthless with the disruptive employees.

Good place to get experience if you have a high school diploma

Former Employee - Client Banking Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Banking Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company offers good quality work stability without much differentiation within your work day. Clients for the most part are easy to deal with and love doing business with Schwab. Generally speaking everybody at the company within all the different sectors of the business is friendly and easy to get along with. In addition you get a great benefits package with quarterly bonus's dependent on performance. Needless to say it's not a bad place to start your career.

Cons

The first thing one has to realize about Charles Schwab is that they are inherently conservative about how they do business. This is reflective in the conversations you have with clients and the slow pace of growth and innovation that goes along with those conservative values. If you like change and a company that has a genuine thirst for innovating the client experience and staying on top of all the technological trends look elsewhere. I personally worked on the bank and was using about 8-10 different systems when you could easily (if Schwab was willing to invest in their IT infrastructure) about 1-3.

Secondly, realize if you work in the Bank you are working as a customer service representative in a call center. Don't let them fool you when you originally apply for the position. Every minute you are on the job you are being monitored whether that be the sneeze you make on the phone to the mouse-click you produce when servicing a clients account. Management will pull the call and know exactly what you did or said wrong!

You will be taking anywhere between 60-100 inbound calls a day. During tax-season and high call volumes you will barely have enough time to take a breath between calls. This can very taking and exhausting with little sympathy from upper-management for the effort you and your team are putting in to get past the high alert levels.

The bank reps I worked with were very nice but in a team of 16 individuals I would bet to say maybe 5 of us had college degrees. The remainder had only high-school diplomas and a number of them had, had numerous years of experience in call centers.

As for the most disappointing aspect at Schwab which is there management and management structure. My manager in particular made my shortly lived stint at Schwab a nightmare to live through on a daily basis. More pre-occupied with serving themselves and the 3-5 pets on the team than having a general can-to attitude about the teams performance. I don't think I ever heard my manager sing praises to our team or thanking us after a day in high call alerts. It was presumed we had gotten through without any problem. Fat Chance

And on top of that we migrated to a new system that was supposed to be easier which in fact it was... but we only received 1 hour of training out of the 4 we were promised than threw us into the deep end and watched us try to keep our heads above water.

Beware as Schwab managers as they are micro-managers to the T and will find little mistakes that are more often than not inconsequential to the client experience and make it seem like it will be the death of the firm due to to "compliance" reasons. Management says they will assist you in anyway shape or form to advance your career and get you through a tough situation. I can't count the number of times I had an escalation with a client and had my manager just rolled their eyes as the prospect of having to pick up the phone and do their job. It was easier for them to say "check the procedure" than to take 2min to assist you. My manager in particular was never available and always busy..apparently so busy that they couldn't say good morning or good bye to you as as you entered and left the office. Plus my manager was inconsistent with their behavior and management styles amongst different employees. In case Schwab didn't realize these things go noticed by other "lesser"employees.

Overall the job was very mundane, I called it Groundhog day for a reason. Your day is way too structured and to boot management was completely disconnected with the employees they were supposed to manage. Schwab has some bright people working for them but somehow don't use their best assets to their advantage. Maybe move employees that show interest in other fields of finance into a better job where they can shine. From what I could see around me many colleagues got their series 7/63 but somehow were glued to the bank for a further 6-12months after passing their exams. How does this happens?

To say it in as few words as possible either you drink the kool-aide or you don't. I would also suggest not applying unless your ok with sticking to rules and regulations that are their for audit purposes. I don't mean to rant too much (which I certainly have) but let this review be a fair warning to all those that are applying for a position on the bank. With 20/20 hindsight I would have made the decision to either go straight to brokerage or just stayed away from this company completely. Clients may "own their future" as per the TV commercials but you as a hard working representative certainly do not.

As much as you place emphasis on the client experience and going above and beyond for the client do the same for your employees. Don't nit-pick and assign labels to employees that are doing an overall great job and yet never get recognized for the hard work they are doing. Stop micro-managing and walking around like it's the best place to work even though many long term Schwab employees seem miserable.

Doesn't seem like there is much room to advance and you have to be a absolute all-star employee to see any forward movement in your career. Even though they promise you the moon during training. Hire managers that care and take the time to assist and not hinder those they are supposed to manage.

Add work diversity and be thankful that your employees are putting their best foot forwards everyday instead of shooting them down and making them second-guess themselves while on the job. Be appreciative of your workforce and create actual pay incentives that make people want to work harder and achieve their goals in life. It's not all about the client after all. I don't think Chuck would be very impressed if he knew how some of these middle-managers treated their teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab