There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

A Great Disappointment

Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked in a branch in Chicago, our flagship branch in fact.
Reasonable hours

Cons

Management is inept, allot of favoritism. I was one of the top producers in that branch, in fact I moved almost $100,000,000 into Advised Investing over 3 years. As you can imagine that was quite a hard thing to do. Once the pace slowed down I was managed out and had to quit verses getting fired. I left in 2007 actually, before the market crash. I told my manager I was going to begin telling clients to get out of the market, and I was told I couldn't do that, and look what happened in 2008. They dont care about their clients stay away.

They wont take advice anyway, why should I waste my breath.

863 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

good times

Former Employee - Broker  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Broker in Denver, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fun happy good tons of cash

Cons

none that i can think of right now

Opportunity is what you make of it

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, such as sabbatical every 5 years, good healthcare, flexible hours and open to telecommuting. Found the company to almost always do the Right Thing even when they could very easily get away with doing less, whether it's for their customers or their employees. I found there to be a niche for everyone, whether you're a climber and a superstar or someone who just wants a steady 9-5, going above and beyond tends to get people rewarded and recognized (not sure about financially -- I was a 9-5er), but if you just get your job done, nobody is riding you to "wear more pieces of flair" if that's not your bag. Point is, if you want to throw yourself into your job, it won't go unnoticed.

Cons

Like most public companies, share value take priority over pushing projects to the next level, which is ultimately why I got laid off (but with an extremely fair severance). Schwab is very risk averse and conservative in terms of business practices (much less uptight otherwise than most financial services firms, however), so that can make it hard to innovate or get things done at anything other than a snail's pace.

Set the procurement tool on fire and spend some money on a comprehensive compliance review tool.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!