Worked there for 7 years

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, hours, nice people to work with

Cons

Politics, hard to change things, and conservative business

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great if you drink the Kool-aid....

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits. The company offers a friendly and fun culture as a whole but for me this did not translate into a good working environment. I was constantly put on the spot and made to feel uncomfortable the entire time. Its like working in a fish bowl. The micro management is severe.

Cons

Constant black outs for vacations especially during the holidays and Saturdays. Tax season is horrible. No vacation time allowed from Jan thru April. High turnover. There is not much room to move up in the Indianapolis site unless you want to remain on the phones. You have no say on your schedule. Yes you can bid, however, my options were :basically all the same schedule but at varying times of the day. For example, I could work Sun-Thurs 8-6:30 or 8:30-7 and so on. If I cant work Sun, this is no help! Dont be fooled! Unrealistic expectations for being on the phones. I was afraid to go the bathroom as I knew it would count against my stats. Seriously! If you are loud, obnoxious and have a strong bladder, you will do just fine. However if you are a more reserved person who likes the liberty of not being chained to a desk, run..don't walk away from Schwab. They def have their favorites. You can tell by how the bonuses are paid. Not much room for growth in Indy unless you want to stay in a call center.

Advice to Management

Provide your staff with available time to use earned vacation during the year. More schedule options. Stop putting people on the spot in meetings and forcing them into uncomfortable situations that have nothing to do with the job. I gave up playing games in grade school. I'm an educated adult and am here to work. Stop allowing CSRs to run meetings. Its demeaning to an educated professional to be told what to do by a loud mouth glorified clerk. I expect to hear from my team manager.

Great place if you value a strong mission statement, putting the client first, and want to work with decent people

Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance Respectful and collaborative colleagues Strong corporate culture with honorable values Sabbatical!

Cons

Minimal growth opportunities Half of the remaining jobs in SF will soon be leaving for Denver Work isn't really all that interesting Mellow culture on the surface; passive-aggressive beneath Like all large companies, benefits are decreasing year over year

Advice to Management

Most employees feel underpaid, undervalued, and under appreciated.