Professional Photographer

Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate
Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate

I have been working at Charley's Angels part-time

Pros

Working with newborns and their families to create beautiful photos. Good bonus structure, independent work environment, FUN!

Cons

Not a good job for a main source of income, Corporate structure is lacking (unlike big box retailers and established companies), not enough communication between management and employees, some staff do minimal work to collect a check, corporate needs a division (not one person) to help with technical issues that arises with equipment, need a trainer that can assist employees if they have questions.

Other Employee Reviews for Charley's Angels

A young company with heart, but a lot of business growth to do.

Former Employee - Newborn Baby Photographer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Newborn Baby Photographer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Charley's Angels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job itself is fun, heartwarming, and very personal. Photographing brand new babies in the hospital and creating memories with each family is very fulfilling work. Commission on sales is always a bonus.

Cons

While leadership meant well, business wise the company seems very unorganized and scattered. Not having local management is a detriment to some areas and an absolute necessity. In addition, the commission was not very satisfying. Plus, no commission from online sales.

Advice to Management

The current rate of a couple of dollars above minimum wage per hour wouldn't feel so bad if the amount of commission were a little higher. To sell $100 of merchandise that you photographed and edited, only to be rewarded with $5 of that amount is not very good motivation. I would suggest to raise either the hourly rate or the commission. I would also recommend that employees still be eligible to receive commission from online sales.

2. Company does not value talent, all about large sales and profits for the owners

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Charley's Angels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compared to other, boring retail jobs or the stress of waiting tables--this seemed like a dream: who wouldn't love talking to brand new parents and seeing newborn babies? For someone with a creative flair, it also seemed like a great opportunity to get paid for being an artist because (so my reasoning went) these packages would not require a hard sell because parents are vulnerable and think their babies are beautiful and want to share that with the world, no matter how much it costs.

Cons

Reality check: baby photography is struggling in the modern age right along with journalism the music business and a host of other industries. Every one of us has a high quality camera on us at all times. We have photo apps wherein we can add captions, change the tint and do all manner of special effects, cropping etc. in 5 minutes and for no more than $5. So what kind of market is there, really, for hundred of dollars worth of hard copy baby photos? And because of the low standard pay, you MUST sell hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of photos before you can even dream of touching a living wage doing this. The percentage of profit given to the person on the ground handling both the creative aspect AND the sales...is sickening.

Advice to Management

Give photographers their fair share and offer products people can't get elsewhere with a quicker turnaround time.