There are newer employer reviews for Charter Communications

Good company with a bad rep

Current Employee - Analyst
Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Charter Communications

Pros

I do think that Charter is a good place to work - they've been thrown under the bus because of past problems, and it's hard to dig out from a large hole. But they do try, and that's more than a lot of other companies. The free cable and internet is a nice bene. And most of the people that I've worked with have been good people, and I've enjoyed getting to know them. I think they are flexible with hours and time, as long as you get your job done (I'm not hourly, so that may not apply to hourly employees?)

Cons

I get the feeling that employees are not privy to a lot of the information that management has about the direction of the company, prospects for the future, etc. It seems like there is an inner circle of people who are "in the know" and if you're not in theat group, or tight with someone in that group, it hurts you professionally, and financially. This is all speculation, and just a feeling I get. I do hope I'm wrong about it, but even if I'm wrong, not having the confidence that I'm being told everything I should be is a downside to the company.

Advice to Management

there are so many rank and file employees who WANT to do well, and are motivated to help the company. Make an effort to find them, and hear what they have to say, what they would change, and why. We can improve the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A good paying job for a highschool graduate

Former Employee - Broadband Sales in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Broadband Sales in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Charter Communications

Pros

Free cable, and opportunity for commission. The ability to work second shift if need be. Young workforce. Most employees went out after work to let off steam. The average age seems to be 21 years old there.

Cons

No guarantee of schedule. Schedule changes atleast twice a year. There is no training once out of the 4 week training period. Supervisors are not great at leading or listening to employees. Constant worry about Charter going bankrupt. Sales reps are tied to the phones during work hours. Goals set do not take into account the need for restroom breaks or customer needs.

Advice to Management

Improve communications within organization. There is too much change without enough training.

2. Glad to have work.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Technician in Overland, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Technician in Overland, MO

I have been working at Charter Communications

Pros

Free cable/internet and discounted phone service. Ability for field techs to take vehicles home. Company vehicles have a gas card, obviously to be used only for the company vehicle. The company work vehicle saves on maintenance and gas costs for my personal vehicle. The company offers retirement package (401k), medical/dental/vision benefits, other companies may offer better costs for the services, but Charter does cover all bases. Easy to move up in position as a field employee and was able to double my starting salary in about 5 years.

Cons

Mandatory overtime without storm damage. Management expecting employees to sacrifice family time while they are not willing to do the same. Charter management expects employees to stay after hours to finish work while management is leaving out the door 15 minutes early on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Don't expect the field techs to make sacrifices that you aren't willing to do yourself. Looking out for yourself does not benefit the company as a whole.