Charter Communications

www.charter.com
There are newer employer reviews for Charter Communications

Charter's a great employer!

Current Employee - Installer in Milledgeville, GA
Current Employee - Installer in Milledgeville, GA

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outside plant work environment is the best

Cons

Left-hand doesn't know what the right-hand is doing

Over communicate

475 Other Employee Reviews for Charter Communications (View Most Recent)

Cool Place to work

Former Employee - Systems Technician II in Hammond, LA
    Former Employee - Systems Technician II in Hammond, LA

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime is always available at this company.

Cons

every other Weekend on call really sucks

Boost Moral

Culture Gone Wrong

Former Employee - Creative Services Director in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Creative Services Director in Greenville, SC

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Charter offers good health benefits and has a good 401k package. They keep you informed of changes to these benefits. You also get free cable and some discounts or free upgrades on other services such as phone and cable modem.

Cons

The company is placed in divisions and upper management only reports results or trends and the way ones division got there and operating practices can become warped. The Charter Media division I worked in became stacked with those who wanted results over customer satisfaction. They used HR extensively to force employees out. They wanted me to fire an employee who needed a Liver transplant for lack of performance and when I refused saying we have a corporate responsibility, I was no longer a team player. One day they wanted me to fire my whole crew. I would hear statements like "Our division has a lower rate of Turnover than it should". Performance reviews were tied to rate increases. So even if everyone performed well, results were required to be curved down to meet available funds. Sales people were sent to Hawaii, while I had to write a full report justifying the purchase of a new desk or chair and how it would generate income. A sense of paranoia and always looking over ones shoulder is rampant. I often found myself trying to make equipment work, purchased and approved by those with no technical background, who would never have to use it. Most middle and upper management positions in Charter Media became filled with those having more experience selling used cars than a background in Cable, Broadcasting, Telecommunications or even business management. This is just the tip of the iceberg. What always amazed me is the company continually underperformed and the divisional and corporate management wonder why.

You've lost a lot of good talented people due to the failure of your leadership team and it's focus on the final goal not how you get there.

There are newer employer reviews for Charter Communications