Charter Communications

There are newer employer reviews for Charter Communications

IT Contractor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Charter Communications as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nice boss, flexible hours, decent work load.

Cons

When I was recruited for this position, I was told my job was fully funded for at least a year and that I could very well be hired on full-time. Due to cost overruns in another (related) work group, after three months on the job I was told my job was no longer budgeted and I was given two week's notice that my contract was ending. NO! I did NOT have any performance issues.

Despite the short notice, I found more than one replacement job. I almost left Charter and went back to a former client, who would have gladly welcomed me back with open arms AND a 1+ year FIRM contract... Even though that job is dead end, I would have taken it to keep my family afloat; however, a few days before my end date, my boss found additional funding for another 4 months. This will give me the time to either convert to a full-time employee (if I'm offered a decent position) or find a better, long-term job with greater career opportunities.

Although my current consulting firm pleaded ignorance, I have since learned from 3 other consulting firms that what I experienced is typical of most Charter contracts; they are reviewed, approved and renewed monthly -- sometimes weekly. A lot of very hard-working people have no idea how long they will be employed... Most people with any talent will not put up with this financial insecurity because even though the economy is still a wreck, longer and more stabile jobs are out there to be had. Especially if you have a good track record, which I do.

Do a better job of scoping your projects, managing your work and avoiding the unnecessary cost overruns. The people you hire as both employees and contractors have mortgages to pay and families to support. It's extremely unethical to tell a candidate that they have a contract for at least a year, then change the rules after 3 months. If you want to recruit and retain the best people, you need to treat them fairly... Otherwise they will leave as soon as they can and tell everyone they know how poorly you manage your projects and your budgets!

470 Other Employee Reviews for Charter Communications (View Most Recent)

Typical Call Center. More work for less money.

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time

Pros

Great People. Competitive Benefits. Promoting from Within. Great Vacation, sick and floating holiday time.

Cons

Commission cuts constantly. Hundreds of conflicting sales metrics. Stripped away earned seniority. Unfair shift bids every 6 months. Micro-managing foot soldier supervisors. Life/work balance isn't cared for. Asking for overtime when it is slow and not busy.

Listen to you employees. Keep morale high. Motivate with money and praise instead of talking down to people and making them feel worthless.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Network Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gaining a lot of experience and the people I work with are friendly and always willing to help and educate.

Cons

None worth mentioning at this time

none