Leadership Changes Bring In Buddies

Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Charter was a great place to work. Many challenges were overcome as we went through the bankruptcy. Our infrastructure, products and services all improved.

Cons

The leadership of the company changed dramatically over the course of a few months. In turn, this new leadership team brought in their buddies and decided to move their offices, along with the marketing department to CT. With all of this change, a number of very strong people were let go. For what?

Advice to Management

Figure out who the real leaders are before letting them go.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Just Awful.

I worked at Charter Communications full-time

Pros

-Free cable,internet if living in the footprint. If you do not live in the footprint, depending on the cable company in your area, they may give you discounts on your service.
    -Pretty decent insurance.

Cons

-Completely disconnected with employees that aren't upper management.
    -Bosses were huge backstabbers and would claim they only had your best interests at bay, which a day later they showed this was not true
    -There were issues with a coworker whom was getting singled out and targeted and when taken to upper management it was brushed off, when should have been taken very seriously.
    -Commission kept getting shifted and lowered.
    -Much of management had no experience and I found myself having to teach them things rather than the other way around. I hate to say it but it was almost as if much of the management was just scooped up from the side of the road without any even related experience.

Advice to Management

New middle management, get people that are there to not only guide employees but offer a positive working environment.

New CEO and direction will surely put Charter BACK into bankruptcy

Current Employee - Technical Operations Supervisor in Kearney, NE
    Current Employee - Technical Operations Supervisor in Kearney, NE

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once a great place to work with knowledgable and experianced peers.Benefits are allright,although Expensive. Free cable a nice perk if you live on system,if not your just asa out as they no longer honor recipicle agreements.

Cons

Too many chiefs,....The new direction the company has taken has built walls between departments and dissolved comradery. They have devalued many experianced employees by "restructuring " departments and forcing employees with great work ethics to take a "not my job " mentality. As a technical supervisor once responsible for every aspect of the plant from the head end to the house, we havenow had our hands tied and told to focus on only installed,trouble calls and disconnects,nothing else. So many of us with with 20 + years of experience can no longer dig deeper to gain resolution into system issues,we have to refer on to different departments who put too much faith in their own abilities to ever think they they have a problem,but the whole time we have to rely on others who have no sense of urgency,the metric on which we are scored is negative and the upper management refuses to make adjustments to the metric to account for things that are now out of our control. "Coach up or coach out" is the new Charter philosophy, which does absolutely nothing for moral. Charter is spending "stupid" money on concepts that are not tried and true. Not all locations can be ran from a cookie cutter template, what works in California may not work in Texas and what does not work in North Carolina may work in Nebraska, but to try to run every system identically does Not work.

Advice to Management

Start assessing your talent pool and stop the devaluation of your employees. You have a lot of talent that you are wasting as baby sitters. Develop advancement opportunities. FOR lower management/supervisors. Once developed to level of supervisor,we are then forgotten about and have no opportunities to Even advance in title only unless somehow you weed buddies with the boss and had a bone thrown your way,but no official advancement plattform for those that are deserving based on proven skill,knowledge and talent,just if your manager likes you well enough to recommend when it comes around once a year, but his hands are tied with how many the company will "allow" him to recommend and tthen still needs approved by at least 2 people higher than him on the totem pole.