Charter Communications

www.charter.com
  www.charter.com
There are newer employer reviews for Charter Communications

Charter - not as bad as you think

Current Employee - Network Specialist in Traverse City, MI
Current Employee - Network Specialist in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Charter Communications

Pros

The benefits are significant. These include free cable TV and Internet service and other services are deeply discounted. A 50% match of the first 5% contributed to the Fidelity managed 401(k) program. And the vacation, sick time, and insurance policies are fair.

For the technically inclined, you have a chance to work on the latest gear offered by Cisco, Motorola, etc.

Cons

-Dealing with the enmity of neighbors and friends.

-Morale within Charter has never been good as many employees worry about the prospect of Charter being sold or losing their job.

-There appears to be a great discrepancy between corporate divisions; the further north you go, the better the work quality seems to get.

-There is not real training, just on the job training.

At a company meeting, when an employee poses the question about what to tell people who ask about getting more HD channels?; answering with "how many HD channels do you really need?" does not show leadership nor is it helpful.

There are too many groups managing customers and outages. There are too many overlapping systems for tracking customer issues. There is too much emphasis on getting problems fixed quickly instead of correctly.

435 Other Employee Reviews for Charter Communications (View Most Recent)

Charter is OK to get service from, but I would only work there as a last resort.

Former Employee - HSD I in Kearney, NE
    Former Employee - HSD I in Kearney, NE

I worked at Charter Communications

Pros

Free cable/Internet...and pretty easy job as long as you don't mind never being recongnized or having any chance at advancement.

Cons

Management did not care at all about the employees. Equipment was barly working, but never replaced. Promotions were given based on who sucked up the most...and went to the least qualified generally. Complaints were ignored. Co-Workers had no respect for anyone.

I was doing the work of someone three levels above me, covering twice the calls and fixing problems that those who were promoted over me had no clue how to fix, but because they kissed up to the boss more, they got the raise. I was also shafted on the schedule, being forced to work weekends when scheduling was by seniority according to management...because the idiots that were hired after me were cuter and the manager wanted to impress them.

Learn to repspect employees, or they will continue to disrespect the company.

Exactly what you would expect...Don't do it, you will want to switch back.

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Charter Communications

Pros

Large Company, dress code is not too strict. Many people are professional and the environment is very nice and updated in the headquarters. Many people are pleasant. Senior management professionals are very good at what they do.

Cons

Politics...way too much of it. Much like what Charter does for its customers, it does for its employees. They promise you the world, and then drop the ball on delivery. There are a tremendous amount of contractors and the place is kind of like a revolving door. It is very difficult to rely on any individuals for support, or as a resource as they may not be there the next week, very frustrating. On top of that, the mid level managers (who do stay) are always stuck on their stake or voice in any project and can't get past their own thoughts and opinions to see other people's point of view. This is not all of the managers, but defintiely quite a few of them.

I would seriously consider how you handle your employees and open up better lines of communication accross the board. If you say you are going to do something, do it.

There are newer employer reviews for Charter Communications