Not a good experience with Chase.

Former Employee - Quality Control Clerk  in  Coppell, TX
Former Employee - Quality Control Clerk in Coppell, TX

I worked at Chase full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are excellent and the pay is ok.

Cons

The management is horrible. I think the should hire people oriented people.

Get the good old boys out and hire professional individuals with the desire to succeed.

Other Reviews for Chase

Business Banker

Former Employee - Business Banker
    Former Employee - Business Banker

I worked at Chase full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to move up if you are the top performer. Co-workers are great in the retail bank, most Managers, Financial Advisors, and Mortgage Officers are great to work with. Benefits and 401k match. Employee discounts from other venders (AT&T etc.)

Cons

Once you move up so much, the chances of getting promoted again are far less. All business bankers report to one regional manager for business banking. They aren't leaving and it is a very competitive position to get, competing against the best of the best (or those who got lucky). Some branch managers think you are an employee, they also know you have it easier and make more money so some tend to hold grudges. I had one BM that sucked and everyone hated her, even all the partners (Bus, MTG, FA, etc). Over the years bonuses and commissions kept going down. All the improvements meant just keeping up with last year versus getting more money since we are closing more loans and accounts. Went from a 6 figure job to a lot less. Eventually it became a burn out job.

Personal Banker Turnover is high, once you train effective Personal bankers to help you, they get promoted and it starts all over again.

Glad that I was one of few that got raises, but 1.5% isn't much. Sometimes I seems that they are just churning checking accounts for numbers and not really adding quality accounts or balances.

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Chase full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent salary and decent benefits. Generous vacation for new hires. If you are high performing and show talents outside of current role it should be easy to move around/up. The company is soo big that there are transfer opportunities all over the world and if my interests change Chase likely has a department that will match them. Chase is also huge on training and while not all training here is super effective it is at least being offered.

Cons

Decision makers are fanatical about controls. They attempt to dummy proof every process which sends a message to employees that we aren't capable of thinking for ourselves and completing our jobs correctly. It sends a message of lack of faith. Employees are not empowered to use their heads and make decisions. They are instructed to follow processes to a T. Most top companies to work for (think Amazon, Google) encourage their employees to use their brains to make decisions. This empowers and uplifts employees. I think it's crazy that I am at the top of my pay for my position and was fairly aggressively recruited but now that I'm here get the feeling that I can't be trusted to do the right thing. My advice to Sr Mgmt... 1) You guys are great.. the culture you preach is not filtering down through the middle men. Cut out all these mid level mgrs. (Mgrs who manage mgrs who mgr mgrs... oh my!). 2) Trust us!!! For non-customer facing employees that can perform their jobs from home, let us. If my mgr can't monitor my performance from inside or outside the office, there is something wrong in their process. 3) Loosen up.. in sites that are non-customer facing give us some casual time. Even if it's only when we're meeting performance requirements. 4) Re-evalutate where you can loosen up on compliance issues. Are these fanatical controls all really necessary? Other institutions allow their underwriters to use their heads to make exceptions and evaluate credit worthiness while force folks into a box with nearly no options to get out. 5) Try yes a little more than no. Practical solutions on the floor are frequently shot down just as quickly as they are brought up. I've heard the same results occur for mgrs pitching ideas to their managers. The Chase way is synonymous with "NO!" as a part answer to new ideas, convoluted processes and rigid inflexibility.

There are newer employer reviews for Chase.

Worked for Chase? Contribute to the Community!