There are newer employer reviews for Checkers Drive-In

Restaurant Support Center is fun, challenging and growing better each year

Current Employee - Restaurant Support Center Employee - I T in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Restaurant Support Center Employee - I T in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Checkers Drive-In full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Checkers is a brand that you can be proud of. The company cares about the quality and value of their product and service and cares equally as much about their people. Depending on your position, hours can be flexible to accomadate life's interruptions. Checkers employees are very diverse and harrassent is not tolerated. They invest in their employees by growing a culture of fun, rewards, recognition and development. There are big incentives like cruises and smaller incentives that happen all the time, like gift cards, lunches or company outings to ball games, theme parks, picnics, bowling and more.

I've been with the company for nearly 20 years and have witnessed the generosity of the company through their C.A.R.E. program, community outreach following hurricanes and many other things. They encourage their employees to give back through different charities like breast cancer awareness and heart association. And employees are equally as giving when an employee (or their child) is raising money for a charity or school through a fundraiser.

Diversity and humor are encouraged but a strong work ethic is present as well. Employees at all levels from the corporate office to the crew in the restaurants take pride in the company and strive for excellence.

They are generous with vacation benefits!

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long. Though this is not the norm, projects can crop up and are given a sense of urgency to complete in a limited time frame. For me, this is almost a pro and a con as the challenge can get my adrenalin going and I become very invested in rising to the task. But if the project demands a lot of overtime, it can also take it's toll on the home life and your health. So it is a careful balancing act. You have to work smart and communicate clearly what is a realistic deadline.

The Restaurant Support Center runs on a very lean staff and everyone is busy. The culture is to make time to work in fun events, but otherwise, the days are busy. Sometimes a person's efforts may seem to go unrecognized. The restaurant employees or franchisees may have no idea how much effort went into a particular project. However, the Executive team does have a handle on how much of a contribution each employee makes and the rewards often come later like during the annual All Star Awards.

Communication, communication, communication!!! Many thanks for a friendly, inviting and fun work environment but effective and timely communication is very valuable and we can continue to improve on this at a more granular level. The weekly huddles and quarterly town hall meetings give us the broad strokes and keep us updated on the pulse of the company, however, communication regarding promotional events and projects can be improved. We need more cross functional awareness between departments. We have made huge strides in this area but still there is room for improvement.

48 Other Employee Reviews for Checkers Drive-In (View Most Recent)

Very people oriented company with great values

Current Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Checkers Drive-In full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Caring company with established goals and values

Cons

At this time I have no negative feedback

continue your focus

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mobile, AL

I worked at Checkers Drive-In

Pros

Some of the employees worked very hard to do their job right and make things run smoother
    The procedures are sound if taught and implemented correctly

Cons

frequent call outs
    no sense of responsibility for actions, there were several times I wrote employees up for no call no shows or improper behavior only to have my store manager throw them away
    unfair and unequal treatment of employees
    store manager played favorites often with the worst performers just because she liked them
    District Manager had no idea what was really going on in the store and often screamed at employees in from of customers
    unrealistic expectations virutally impossible to run a double drive thru with one manager and two employees especially since turnover was so high that often one of the two employees was brand new
    Condition of building was dreadfull, when it rained there was water dripping over several food serving stations
    If we didn't make sales we were expected to stay open untill we did and we were already open till 2am and on the weekends 4am
    Too little pay for such high expectations
    Basically trained for one day and then left alone to manage a store with mostly brand new employees
    no positive feedback too much focus on what you do wrong instead of what you do correctly and most of the things I did correctly I trained myself to do because I studied the training manual on my oown time

I watched the episode of Undercover Boss where they visited Mobile, Alabama and I still think the CEO has no clue how bad things are. I have never considered leaving a job without proper notification but one day after almost a year of tolerating what I can only describe as abuse by my DM and Store manager I stayed through lunch but after that day I had had enough and never came back from break. Stop promoting people just because they have hung around for a long time. Many people just stay because no one has the wisdom to fire them not because they are good at their job. The employees worth keeping won't stay in a toxic environment and that probably explains your high turnover.

There are newer employer reviews for Checkers Drive-In