Chegg

www.chegg.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Chegg

The more rewarding part of my career history has been at Chegg

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, above-average salary, unlimited vacation policy, free lunch every day, awesome gym, very flexible work/life balance, challenging (but manageable) problems to work on, great opportunity for career development... I could keep going on for quite a while. Chegg has exceeded every expectation I had and continues to do so.

I think that the greatest underlying success about Chegg is management's transparency. The leaders don't put up with hidden agendas, middle-management bureaucrats, or political power struggles--they keep communication clear and simple, focus on goals, and care about the customers as much as the future of the company.

Cons

The old HQ was getting pretty crowded despite it's nice 360 view of the entire south bay. The new HQ office (as of Oct 2012) doesn't have the view--but makes up for it with much more space to grow.

Although I don't see it as a "con"--I would suggest that it takes the right kind of person to excel here. If you're just looking for a job that you can go to for 8 hours and return home thinking that you were fishing the whole time--please don't bother applying. We have some of the brightest minds working on monumental problems with a mission to make a better world by improving education. There are days that I'll keep working on a problem past 5pm--not because I need to--but because I want to. In fact--even if I were to leave the company--I would still try to find the solution to that problem; because I love what I do. If you don't enjoy the work you do; you probably won't see Chegg the same way that I do... Of course, if you don't enjoy the work you do; you're unlikely to enjoy any job at any employer!

Keep the course! The company is clearly moving in the right direction.

Be very selective when hiring managers as we continue to grow. The managers we currently have are all great--but its only obvious that we'll need more as we continue adding more engineers to our workforce. I've seen (and worked at) too many places ruined by managers that can drive the talent out of a company in the matter of months.

In fact--as unconventional and extreme as it sounds--an idea might be to try hiring managers on a contract-to-hire basis just to ensure that something like that doesn't happen.

91 Other Employee Reviews for Chegg (View Most Recent)

Delegation at it's finest hour

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time

Pros

Great benefits - health vision dental life
    Free lunch everyday
    There's room to grow and move up as long as you have the right manager

Cons

Everyone tends to play "CYOA" at this company. Work from management is delegated so that managements gets to take all the credit in the end. If you're not at the management level consider yourself disregarded for any sort of promotion. The company also seems to hire more and more management despite the need for more engineers to actually get the jobs/programing/development done.

Start paying more attention to your employees

Well worth the work.

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

They pay you very well is you put the right amount of work into it, you just need to be committed and creative.

Cons

It is online so you you need to keep track of your duties and can't rely on reminders from other workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Chegg