Chegg

www.chegg.com

Look at how many people are FORMER Chegg Employees

Pros

Interesting business model, fun office

Cons

Revolving door for talent, if you survive a year you're a veteran, long hours, high expectations with little investment in outcomes

You should question why so many people are former Chegg employees and if that's a good thing.

Other reviews for Chegg

Chegg is on the right track

Pros

Few Internet startups are building products that actually bring value to users (think more ads and badges). Chegg saves students time and money, which is a great story and mission to work for. This company has all the right pieces to make a huge difference, now it's all about execution. Work environment is well balanced (unlimited vacation policy!), the technical challenges are interesting, the business model is sustainable.

Cons

Communication is still not crisp, company going through growing pains of a startup into a mature revenue company.

Focus on your stars, bring in top talent, engineering is your way to salvation.

Chegg will haunt you for years to come if you work with them.

Former Employee - Regional Manager Campus Operations
    Former Employee - Regional Manager Campus Operations

Pros

The schedule was flexible and my boss at the time (he no longer works there) worked really great with me and communicated well.

Cons

When I first interviewed with Chegg.com, I was told I would be working on college campuses with students. I asked what we would be doing when the students were out of session (over the summer) and they told me they would have more work for us to do: not to worry.

The job went well; I highly enjoyed what I did. I started work in January 2007. I set-up promotions on campuses to raise awareness of chegg.com and got students to sign up.

June rolled around and Chegg decided to fly all its regional managers of campus operations to Vegas to train us for the work we would do over the summer. Basically, we trained for 3-5 hours and Chegg.com sent us out VIP style in Vegas- limos, bottles, blowing loads of money on us. This is where I met the senior management and some investors. We then returned home and started to get to work. At which point, I realized that they wanted us to basically do "media sales" for the website but had no packages set-up to sell. We called into senior execs at companies and when they asked us what we had to sell, timelines- I drew a blank. Having never been in sales before, I contacted my manager and let him know that they had to come up with a better plan; we can't go and sell nothing essentially. A few days later, they started laying off the regional employees. I was laid off too. Also, at which point they said we may be asked to return to work when the fall semester starts.

When I was let go, I was asked to return my cell and mac, which Chegg provided for business. I asked for two weeks to get the stuff off my mac and sent my cell away using their UPS shipping account. Verbally, they told me I had two weeks to turn in my computer. Ok. Friday of the weekend of my last paycheck roles around (I have one more week to turn in my computer and my blackberry has been shipped and is on the way) Great. I got paid. I paid all my bills electronically online and sent out a rent check Saturday. On Monday, Chegg decides they will withdrawal my paycheck (and expenses) from my bank account to hold ransom until the mac and cell are sent. Because I had paid my bills online, they went through on Monday and Tuesday and the overdraft fees built up to over $400. When confronted Chegg, they told me they withdrew it because I had not sent my mac and cell as agreed upon. Chegg didn’t bother to check their UPS account to even see that the cell had been sent and that there was one more week for me to turn in the computer. Also, I had told chegg.com I needed shipping supplies to send the mac back so that it would get there unharmed. I had no money to pay for shipping (as they took all my money) and they demanded that I figure it out to send it back. I had to scramble to pay rent and to cover my overdraft fees plus my bills alone and pay for shipping/supplies.

That same Monday that my paycheck was withdrawn, I applied for unemployment. A few days later I received a letter in the mail saying I was rejected because Chegg didn’t pay my unemployment taxes. I was shot out of money and luck here.

So I deal with it all, borrow money from family, pay the bills. I’m absolutely frustrated that they did this and was leaving for a tour so I decide I’m just going to keep my computer, because for all I know they won’t give me that money- seeing as how they just withdrew it from my bank account without letting me know. No warning, no nothing. I decided I need to swap the computer in person and get a handwritten check. That way I am sure to get that money. A few months down the line I am in NYC and decide to meet-up with my old manager. We swap the computer for my paycheck in a park. I go to the closest bank and cash it immediately. Finally.

Fast forward 2.5 years later. I get a letter from the IRS randomly stating that I owe over $4000 in taxes for the work I did for Chegg. Chegg filed me as a 1099 not a W-2. I decide I am going to fight this and I present my case to the IRS. After numerous days retrieving old documents, I put together a case. I appeal to the IRS. I have kept my offer letter, pay stubs and health insurance plan Chegg had me on. I present the case and I am ruled that I was legitimately an employee and chegg.com failed to withhold taxes correctly. IRS decided to go after them. Looking back, I recall Chegg saying they didn’t have a business license to operate outside of California which must be why the 1099 came into play. I can assure you Chegg is getting audited. Especially since the Regional Manager of Campus operations in Boston had the same thing happen to her over the taxes- I’m sure the rest of them did as well. That can’t be fun for Chegg.

Chegg was awful. Communication was bad. Business tactics were awful. Unfortunately, I think I may have to get involved with Chegg never paying the unemployment that was rightfully mine. Also, they never reimbursed mileage expenses. They have been the biggest headache ever.
    After all, Chegg did ask me to return to work for them in the Fall.

Learn to run a real business. Get some legitimate executives in there that know what they are doing. Treat your employees better.

There are newer employer reviews for Chegg.

Worked for Chegg? Contribute to the Community!