Chegg

www.chegg.com
  www.chegg.com
There are newer employer reviews for Chegg

Seasonal employee review for Chegg warehouse in Shepherdsville, KY.

Former Employee - Picker in Shepherdsville, KY
Former Employee - Picker in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Chegg

Pros

Competitive wages: $11.00 per hour for seasonal employees.

Decent hours: Average 35+ hours a week with occasional overtime.

Weekly pay (if employed through a staffing agency, bimonthly pay if employed directly through Chegg).

Nice facility: Very clean temperature controlled break-room/restrooms, with plenty of seating, vending machines, refrigerators, and microwaves. Partially covered smoking area outside of break-room. Lockers for personal belongings. Ample parking.

Two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch for an 8 hour shift, additional 15 break after 8 hours (subtract 5+ minutes for the time it takes to walk to and from work area to break room)

Free lunch on Fridays with a 45 minute lunch break.

Cons

POOR MANAGEMENT STYLE: Apparently it is company policy at Chegg to treat their seasonal employees as though they are sub-human, not needed, and not wanted, with their goal being fear instead of motivation. I always felt as though at any moment I could lose my job, even though I was ranked among the top 5 out of 100+ pickers. I never got any compliments for my effort, but instead received negativity, or was ignored completely. I do not need to be coddled, but an occasional nice word goes a long way. "We do not need you here, and you can easily be replaced" that is a direct quote from the head warehouse manager at one of our group's many "motivational" meetings. Many times I would see what I can only call call temper tantrums by the leads and management alike. People getting screamed at and belittled in front of other employees as if though they were children, Chegg's turnover rate is astronomical, I saw groups of 25+ employees come and go several times, and I was only employed by them for about 6 weeks.

UNREACHABLE UNIT PER HOUR GOAL: If you are a picker at Chegg you are demanded to reach 100+ books picked per hour, or 700+ books picked in an 8 hour shift, the penalty for not reaching that goal is loss of employment. Unfortunately the system that prints the pick orders causes you to have to go into a flat out run from one end to the other of this extraordinarily large, non-temperature controlled warehouse to reach that goal. The average person could only reach 75 picked books per hour if they were really hustling, and lost there jobs even though they were hard workers. I managed to get into the top 5 pickers by figuring out how to print orders that were easy, and even then I had to really move quickly to keep up the pace. If something happens and the system isn't working correctly, you are still expected to meet and exceed your goal. The staffing agency even had a person from there office come in and work in the warehouse to see if he could meet Chegg's goal, and he failed.

POOR TRAINING: Even though picking is not a difficult job, being told to "figure it out" is probably not the best way to train people. I asked each picking lead to show me the best way to do the job and each one of them told me "you have have to figure out your own way". I made many mistakes my first week and was told I would be let go if I didn't figure it out.

LACK OF COMMUNICATION: I never knew where I stood as far as meeting my goal for the day, if I asked a question, I was answered with a half answer, or ignored completely by my lead. What to do, or what not to do was never very clear, if you make a mistake that's when you found out what not to do, then you would be threatened to get "wrote up" or "fired". I never knew when my shift was going to end, or if I had to work the weekend until the very last possible second. If you had plans, or something important to do on the weekend, you had better be able to drop them, because if you don't drop everything for Chegg, you guessed it, termination. I found that avoiding leads and management was best. All in all, it is not a very proactive system.

There are stress management programs, along with programs that will teach management/leads how to properly and professionally deal with and motivate employees. I strongly advise enrolling the entire management team ASAP.

Redesigning the warehouse to be more efficient is a must! Take a page from UPS or one of the other large companies around town.

Setting and completing goals should be based on the individual persons abilities, instead of some random unobtainable number.

Treat people with respect and they will respect you in return. People that are treated poorly will not care about their job, or their job performance. Good communication is the key to success for any company. If management doesn't let people know what to do or how to do it, then the company and employees will always fail.

88 Other Employee Reviews for Chegg (View Most Recent)

Startup with a ton of potential.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg

Pros

Ability to communicate with management, the organization is flat in many of the right ways. Chegg recently has brought on name brand executives (a plus) yet you can still have your voice heard by anyone, which helps employees get the resources they need.
    Excellent use of a wide range of technologies within engineering.
    Inter-department collaboration is increasing.
    The food.
    New office location is far better than the old office.

Cons

Interviewing procedures have improved but still rough around the edges.
    Innovation is great for growing companies, but if too many ideas get the green light, you end up redoing/scrapping things later on. You can still move forward as a company while putting the brakes on a few more things.
    Churn tends to happen post rush. Find ways to reinvigorate the staff.

QA performs wonderfully, but is under resourced.
    Release schedules are overly ambitious, scale things back.

Senior iOS developer

Current Employee - Senior IOS Developer in Rehovot (Israel)
    Current Employee - Senior IOS Developer in Rehovot (Israel)

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, dynamic workplace that drives innovation.

Cons

Nothing significant. Maybe to take the time to plan the features and work schedule more carefully.

Expand the Israeli office. Recruit more people. It has got a lot of potential.

There are newer employer reviews for Chegg