Chemonics International

www.chemonics.com

Provides good project management experience, but extremely heavy on the administrative tasks

Project Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe staff is friendly, outgoing, dedicated and helpful. Professionalism is held to a high standard and there is an excellent set of process maps in place to help guide daily tasks. This is a good place to learn the ins and outs of project management. There is the ability to move around the company (though more laterally than vertically) and change positions. The physical office is designed well with large work spaces. There can be exciting and unique opportunities to work abroad in development.

ConsDaily project management tasks are highly administrative for both associates and managers alike with little or no opportunity for technical work. With budget cuts and the current USAID funding, there are fewer opportunities for associates and managers to be sent to the field on assignment. The job can be highly demanding and stressful, especially when adding new business proposal work to an already full schedule. The primary focus is on profits and backlog, and little time is spent on monitoring and evaluation and focusing on technical excellence. With the company continuing to downsize and yearly salary increases frozen, the general work atmosphere isn't too optimistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring more technical focus back to the company so Chemonics can retain technical experts rather than constantly relying on consultants. Be more selective with proposal applications rather than applying to 95% of RFPs so the company can be even more strategic about managing resources.

Great people in a difficult environment

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time for more than a year

Pros: Smart, hard-working colleagues who want to succeed and will do… Cons: Leadership that isn't supportive of their employees or willing to empower those who… Advice to Senior Management: Utilize the amazing employees you have in manager and associate positions. Help directors and vice presidents get the leadership training they need to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Once a paradigm of development, now a husk of its former self

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Chemonics International full-time for more than a year

Pros: - Great exposure to government contracting and consulting - Opportunity to participate in advanced roles to build your career, particularly in business development - Tremendous travel opportunities,… Cons: Success at Chemonics is not contingent on an enabling work environment. Rather, I believe your success is tethered to the exposure you get through your… Advice to Senior Management: The company's dismissal of important divisions - particularly practice specialists (gender, health, d&g, etc) - will result in Chemonics becoming a generalist implementer. As a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Chemonics International.

Worked for Chemonics International? Contribute to the Community!