Chemonics International
www.chemonics.com Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Very long hours, little pay, and company senior leadership unwilling to change approaches

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Chemonics International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can learn great project management skills and there are lots of opportunities to travel. Associates and managers are pretty young and fun to hang out with, people generally are very hard-working and smart.

ConsEven employees with a master's and several years of work experience need to start at the bottom of the totem pole unless they have direct experience in international development. I had come to Chemonics with a master's and seven years of work experience (including experience related to program management and coordination), but because it wasn't at an international development firm, I had to start as an entry-level associate at a starting salary of $40,000. I took the job, though, because I really wanted to work in international development and had been job-searching for about 8 months at this point. I rarely to never worked less than 9 hours per day, but many times as much as 12 hours, and sometimes up to 15 hours a day when working on a live proposal or when a project was in crisis mode. I think one of the most frustrating things is the way senior leadership decides to invest its employees' time with a "bid on everything" approach while not taking into account the company's actual chances of winning. This approach requires employees to pour an extremely large amount of time into something that is not likely to materialize. It burns people out. Also, the company went through a complete restructuring in late 2011, which ended up hurting the company. If the executive leadership had only consulted with associates, managers, and even directors about this poor choice, the company could be doing better. It seemed very hypocritical that an international development firm espousing the idea of bottom-up development failed to involve its members in such a big decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees' opinions more instead of brushing them under the rug.

Rules and regs, not development

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good place for an ambitious, go-getter, generalist to start their career in USAID… Cons: Bad place to hone specific skills, advance technical knowledge, or apply gain quality experience of what its like to carry out good development in the… Advice to Senior Management: Invest in building technical expertise and research at all levels… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Provides good project management experience, but extremely heavy on the administrative tasks

Project Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time for more than a year

Pros: The staff is friendly, outgoing, dedicated and helpful. Professionalism is held to a high standard and there is an excellent set of process maps in… Cons: Daily project management tasks are highly administrative for both associates and managers alike with little or no opportunity for technical work. With budget cuts and… Advice to Senior Management: Bring more technical focus back to the company so Chemonics can retain technical experts rather than constantly relying on consultants. Be more… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Chemonics International.

Worked for Chemonics International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chemonics International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chemonics International CEO Susanna Mudge. All reviews posted anonymously by Chemonics International employees.