There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Stay away from Downstream

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Ramon, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Work life balance and benefits. Georgaphical location of the Global Headquarters is very beautiful, but comes with a price.

Cons

Internal politics are overwelming. "Who" you know is valued more than "what" you know. Performace and pay determination process is poorly orchestrated year after year. Majority of Senior HR Leaders do not have advanced HR degrees or HR degrees period. Too much analysis, very little results.

Re-evaluate value add of senior HR Leaders, pay attention to employee survey results and do something about the low ranked areas. Look internally at degrees of employees and prior-Chevron experience, utilize them and stop spending millions on consultants who were classmates of your current employees.

639 Other Employee Reviews for Chevron (View Most Recent)

Not a team, be prepared to be stepped on

Former Employee - Finance Intern  in  San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Decent pay, although I don't know how great the potential for raises really is. They are on a 9/80 schedule, so every other Friday you are off, wich was really nice. Potential to be a great career, I think I was just in a bad department.

Cons

If you are placed in a bad department, then there really isn't much you can do to get out. Management doesn't listen to your suggestions or concerns, even when they ask for them. I was an intern in a department that was going through layoffs every 30 days, so no one wanted to helo the intern out or give me work to help them with because everyone was trying to prove their own self worth. At least in the Finance division, people are not personable and it seems like most of the corporate finance work is about to be outsourced to the Phillippines - again, why would you place and intern in this department?!

If you don't need or don't want an intern in your department, PLEASE tell the college HR people not to place one there. There is more to life than just Chevron, if your greatest accomplishment in life is getting that gold chevron watch, you make me sad.

Working a Chevron provided growth that is marketable in any employment you may seek

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron provides a livable wage, marketable skills and most importantly the ability to save for a decent retirement. There are many opportunities to grow and advance.

Cons

After sometime working in a union shop became limiting. If you don't know how to play the political game it can also be limiting. Observe and learn to over come it.

Everyone of your employee wants to be a part of the big picture. Mentor each of your employees. Find their individual talents and utilize it. You and they will see great things coming out of that simple idea.

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!