There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Great place to work for engineers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron is a great place to work if you're an engineer. Pay is great, benefits are awesome, the 9/80 schedule provides a lot of flexibility (every other Friday off, but work 9 hours during the week and 8 hours on your Friday on). They treat everyone fairly and are very big on diversity and safety. They are also strong proponents of work/life balance. You have just about an endless amount of sick time and entry level employees start out with 2 weeks of paid vacation, increasing by 1 week every 5 years.

Cons

I work in IT and while it is great company, they do not necessarily view IT employees as valued. In fact, IT employees are referred to as "non-technical" because only the engineering jobs are the "technical" jobs. Chevron pays well for IT jobs if you're freshly out of college, but once you have a few years of experience under your belt, it might be worthwhile to go somewhere else and get a bump in pay.

Advice to Management

Show more value in your employees who are not engineers and you might have better employee retention in the non-engineering disciplines.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good place to work if you're an engineer

Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Great opportunities for O&G experienced hires and people with a strong desire to succeed at a company that is in a critical and growing business line: energy.

Cons

There is a lot of reliance on 'old' deciion-making. Chevron hired a lot of experienced people, but the decisions all get made by 25-year+ people. Can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Integrate feedback and ideas from experienced hire population into decision-making.

Not a team, be prepared to be stepped on

Former Employee - Finance Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Decent pay, although I don't know how great the potential for raises really is. They are on a 9/80 schedule, so every other Friday you are off, wich was really nice. Potential to be a great career, I think I was just in a bad department.

Cons

If you are placed in a bad department, then there really isn't much you can do to get out. Management doesn't listen to your suggestions or concerns, even when they ask for them. I was an intern in a department that was going through layoffs every 30 days, so no one wanted to helo the intern out or give me work to help them with because everyone was trying to prove their own self worth. At least in the Finance division, people are not personable and it seems like most of the corporate finance work is about to be outsourced to the Phillippines - again, why would you place and intern in this department?!

Advice to Management

If you don't need or don't want an intern in your department, PLEASE tell the college HR people not to place one there. There is more to life than just Chevron, if your greatest accomplishment in life is getting that gold chevron watch, you make me sad.