There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Come for the experience, stay for the people.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

Pros

The People - very friendly The Work Atmosphere - very relaxed The Experience - get a lot of experience in different areas in a short amount of time

Cons

The Location - limit locations, if you don't like Texas or California you're SOL

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees on the direction the company/department/their career is taking. Don't just spring weird job assignment moves on them.

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

1. Pretty Good

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Concord, CA

Pros

1. The company is in a relatively strong position, despite falling crude prices. 2. A great variety of jobs you can apply to with relative ease compared to applying for a job at another company. 3. Great educational benefits (75% reimbursement), although I've heard that they discourage applying to more expensive schools when there is a less costly alternative.

Cons

1. Big organization, so it can be difficult to get things done. 2. The performance management system (PMP) depends on how engaged your manager is in selling your strengths ( this can be good or bad depending on the manager). 3. Relatively low pay for employees with financial backgrounds. Salary increases and promotions for financial employees are "conservative", meaning you don't get anywhere fast, compared to other specialties in Chevron. 4. Recent outsourcing efforts within certain departments contribute to low morale and feelings of job insecurity.

Advice to Management

no comment

A great company to start with for training & experience but move on if you aren't "globally mobile"

Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Chevron provides a great opportunity for new hires to get a high level of training (on the job and in the classroom) and gain experience in a wide variety of assignments early in a career. Chevron has a very experienced work force that serves as valuable mentors to accelerate your learning. This "aging" work force also means that younger employees will be able to advance their career more quickly as the baby boomers retire. In my 8 years with Chevron, I found that all managers I worked for stood by Chevron's commitment to a work/family balance.

Cons

Since Chevron is an international company, they put a very strong emphasis on being "globally mobile". You have to be willing to follow their "suggestions" about when and where to move in order to stay on "The List" and continue to be quickly promoted. With the energy industry so focused in Houston and a spouse that works for another energy company, we were not mobile. I made the hard decision to leave Chevron because I knew that my career would stall when I refused to move. I can now stay in Houston doing the work I truly enjoy with another company while getting higher pay and no pressure to relocate. Also, although Chevron has improved in recognizing the importance of technical expertise, they still put much more value and emphasis on people who want to pursue a career in management versus a technical career.

Advice to Management

I understand that management must find a way to convince employees to relocate to some of the less desirable places that Chevron operates. They currently do this by promoting these people more quickly. However, this causes Chevron to lose valuable employees just because they are treated worse when they aren't willing to relocate. They are losing people that they have invested a great deal of money in through pay and training for 5-10 years only because they aren't willing to let them work and live in one location. They must find a better way to encourage people to relocate that doesn't punish those who do not want an international career due to personal and family reasons.