There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Chevron provides a workplace for a satisfying career.

Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, CA
Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Work is relevant and important. There are opportunities to work in different areas of the business and in different technologies over the course of a career. The benefits include a yearly bonus, excellent contributions to a 401K, and a pension plan. Employees participate in a yearly survey and the results ot the survey are taken seriously. Advancement within the company is possible. Chevron's facilities and equipment are operated safety and reliably. Alternative work schedules are available and widely used.

Cons

There is still a "Good Old Boys" culture in some parts of the organization. The pace is fast and the workload can cause significant stress and long work hours.

Focus on both long term and short term objectives. Implement new technologies successfully. Continue the work to impove the public's impression of the company.

658 Other Employee Reviews for Chevron (View Most Recent)

Relaxed and stimulating place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Stable, relaxed yet stimulating, the company cares about it employes safety and health and builds this into its procedures and enforces them. The 401K match is generous and so are the health benefits. it is a company where a lot of freedom is given and responsibility expected to set ones own schedule at the same time they expect a lot from me but those freedoms and compensations balance this out very well

Cons

It can take a long time to get things done and there is a fair amount of paper work to do. Also there is office politics where advancement is about who you know and fitting in is emphasized than I think it should be compared with performance.

try to watch for social climbers and don't reward the squeeky wheels

Great opportunites, mediocre management.

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The benefits are great, the 401k match is extremely good. There is a huge growth opportunity since the baby boomers are retiring in the next ten years, so a lead position in the next five years is not out of the question. If you are looking for international opportunity then look no further, Chevron is truly a worldwide company. It is also one of the last big companies that offer a 401k match as well as a pension. I also sincerely believe that Chevron is trying to move towards incident-free operations. The work/life balance is something that is also stressed here, which is a refreshing change from some of the other companies I have worked for. The bottom line is that I go to work and I actually enjoy my job and the people around me.

Cons

Senior Leadership sometimes can have double standards which is a tad disheartening. There is also a bit of the good-ole boy attitude that still survives here, but that is fading as the baby boomers retire. The nine hour workday is also a bit of a drag, but having every other friday off more than makes up for it. Also, it seems like if you work hard on regular work, you aren't recognized nearly as much as if you lead a group in some project. I know other people have this problem as well, but this is probably the same throughout our industry. If you want to excel here, you need to garner leadership roles, and not worry too much about day to day work.

Treat your employees as equals, and not like your kids. Just because we are twenty something doesn't mean that we don't understand the business world.

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron