Chevron

It's alright.

Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Work-Life Balance. You can set your own schedule around the core hours of 9-3 which is great if you commute in Houston.
Lots of potential for global assignments. Residential or rotational assignment exist on every continent.

Cons

Good ole boys network. If you not in the inner circle you'll always be a step or two behind in advancement and promotions.
They might promote Human Energy, etc, but at the end of the day employee's will take a back seat to the business and the gpeople making the decisions out in California.

The company revolves around more people than its US based employees.

710 Other Employee Reviews for Chevron (View Most Recent)

Chevron is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron is safety oriented; they put safety first for their employees. This benefits both the employee and the company. Every employee is empowered to stop any job if they see something unsafe.
    Another thing that impresses me is their Recognition and Award program; every employee is encouraged to recognize and award a peer for a job well done. Everyone really likes to receive these awards; people seem to try harder to do their best for everyone.
    Our department is really concerned about Work/Life balance. Within our department, most are on a 9/80 schedule which means we have every other Friday off. Most employees really look forward to that 3-day weekend. When I need time off, it is usually not a problem to get my supervisor's approval. They encourage people to stay home if the weather is hazardous or if you or a family member is sick.
    Chevron is a great place to work!

Cons

I have had a challenge to find a new career opportunity; I have been an admin for a number of years and am ready to try something different. Most jobs at Chevron require a specialized degree; my degree is in Business; I am sure I will find something; I just have to be diligent in my search.

I think senior management is doing a great job; they keep us informed and I am impressed with their leadership.

Strong company with strong people.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Coming from another oil company, I have had an opportunity to compare/contrast the company culture and work experience.....and Chevron comes ahead, hands down. I enjoyed my previous company and did well there, but Chevron's commitment to their employees and stockholders while maintaining corporate integrity has been inspirational.

Like others mentioned, there are lots of opportunities to move up within Chevron if you are a strong performer, especially if you are mobile. I have heard from many people that once you are in, it's hard to get fired unless you are a really poor performer - they are more apt to "reshuffle" you than let you go. That, unfortunately, does lead to some people still with the company that should be eliminated.

Overall the company employs a high caliber of talent - people who enjoy their work and are extremely loyal to the company. They love the company so much they end up hiring their relatives and friends - there are a high percentage of people I have met that are somehow related to another employee (hence the nepotism mentioned in another post).

Cons

Salary pay is very competitive compared to other oil companies, although annual pay increases are on the modest side. While I don't 100% agree with the "good ol' boy" network comments others have made, I do agree that management typically promotes those that have qualities and characteristics similar to them. You don't need to be in the "in crowd" to get promoted, but you should have a personality and style similar to those higher ups.

It is also actively up to the employee to determine their future - the company expects people to network if they want a position, it doesn't get handed to you. This is where some "schmoozers" get ahead of the quiet bees.

Continue being honest and upfront with employees, even if the news is bad. Really live the Chevron Way - don't make it mindless rhetoric.

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron