Chevron

www.chevron.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Strong company with strong people.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Coming from another oil company, I have had an opportunity to compare/contrast the company culture and work experience.....and Chevron comes ahead, hands down. I enjoyed my previous company and did well there, but Chevron's commitment to their employees and stockholders while maintaining corporate integrity has been inspirational.

Like others mentioned, there are lots of opportunities to move up within Chevron if you are a strong performer, especially if you are mobile. I have heard from many people that once you are in, it's hard to get fired unless you are a really poor performer - they are more apt to "reshuffle" you than let you go. That, unfortunately, does lead to some people still with the company that should be eliminated.

Overall the company employs a high caliber of talent - people who enjoy their work and are extremely loyal to the company. They love the company so much they end up hiring their relatives and friends - there are a high percentage of people I have met that are somehow related to another employee (hence the nepotism mentioned in another post).

Cons

Salary pay is very competitive compared to other oil companies, although annual pay increases are on the modest side. While I don't 100% agree with the "good ol' boy" network comments others have made, I do agree that management typically promotes those that have qualities and characteristics similar to them. You don't need to be in the "in crowd" to get promoted, but you should have a personality and style similar to those higher ups.

It is also actively up to the employee to determine their future - the company expects people to network if they want a position, it doesn't get handed to you. This is where some "schmoozers" get ahead of the quiet bees.

Continue being honest and upfront with employees, even if the news is bad. Really live the Chevron Way - don't make it mindless rhetoric.

763 Other Employee Reviews for Chevron (View Most Recent)

Chevron: worker friendly, flexible, progressive.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Their willingness to help their employees become the best they can possibley be. The opportunities to promote and grow within the company are endless. There is also a sense of community, with many social activities planned for employees to interact and bond outside of work. There willingness to work around employees non work committments with the use of flex schedules is very nice. Only requirement is to be at work during "core hours" which is 9-3. Also pay up to 75% for continued educaiton.

Cons

Verry large organization, lots of red tape. I can also be hard to get to know coworkers on a personal level.

To think outside the box when considering candidates for certain positions. It seems they are too fixated on potential employees having engineering degrees, even in fields where that sort of technical background is not required.

Chevron from a Birdseye View

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron has a vision of integrity, honesty, and trust and for cultivating the most competent and diverse employees. There's a lot of opportunity for advancement, and the compensation and benefits are great. There's also a lot of trust between employees and Senior Leadership. Chevron also regularly communicates with employees through both web-based conferences and face-to-face meetings between Senior Leadership and all employees. We always have a good idea about the happenings in the company, and that's a great feeling.

Cons

There's a lot of fear with the company's stability in relation to the current economic state. The price of oil is directly related to the company's budget and ability to retain staff. Right now, we're not sure what's going to happen, and that's causing a lot of tension and anxiety with many.

Management could do more to increase employee morale in these uncertain times. Employee recognition and feedback are also hot points with many. As an administrator I come into contact with more employees than most, and my advice would be for Senior Management to create a stronger connection with their employees. Morale is most important right now.

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron