Great Internship

Former Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
Former Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

An excellent place to complete an internship. Very focused on safety. Would gladly return if I had more summers left to intern, but I will be graduating in Spring 2013.

Cons

The refinery is in Richmond, which is usually in the Top 10 of most crime-filled cities in the US every year. It sits on the very edge though and away from the town, but it's pretty close.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

One of the best professional experiences in my career.

Former Contractor - IT Business Analyst in Concord, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Business Analyst in Concord, CA

I worked at Chevron as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company is full of employees with a high aptitude, great attitude and committed to helping teammates succeed. My experience twice as an intern and once as a contractor were always top notch.

Cons

Depending on the position, may require some international travel away from family. If you're single it's the life. They take good care of you when you travel. If you have a family it can be hard.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your best to keep employees in the loop when change is occurring.

Total Comp is great, but comes at a price

Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Total compensation is out of this world. Salary is above average for similar positions in this city, annual raises are far above average, annual bonuses are typically 7-10% of your gross salary, health benefits are great, 401(k) is great. It is based on this that I recommend us to people, but not without mentioning the below cons.

Cons

The managerial approach to subordinates needs to be overhauled. While I enjoy a culture based on safety, the employees have come to feel as though they cannot move since the senior office manager does not want the first recordable incident in some time to occur on his watch. Employees come to feel demotivated by the lack of freedom of expression and steady rejection of office activities that are presented to him. It's quite parental in nature. The safety system is used more to penalize employees who report discomfort instead of being used as designed, which is to get to the root cause of what about the employee's day is leading to the discomfort.

Advice to Management

Loosen up a little. Lets have some fun at work. We're a small office and can be a fun family, but you need to let us talk and have more time to get to know the people we sit next to.