Chevron Process Engineering Intern

Current Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
Current Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great people, and a huge learning experience unlike anything you will receive in school. An excellent way to make connections. Worked on projects that actually mattered to the company, as well as I got to see how engineering applied in the real world.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is poor. 9/80 Schedule is nice, however it makes it difficult to enjoy every day. Seems to be an expectation to stay beyond your 9 hours.

Advice to Management

Need less red tape, and a better document management system in order to better pass on information across generations of employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

1. Very good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, great senior management, diverse and talented employee pool. Management trusts employees to get the job done and in turn they do.

Cons

Women are not promoted as fast as men. Mediocre middle managers. Too much work and too little staff. Innovation is not particularly encouraged. Too many processes, confusing org structure.

Advice to Management

Train your middle managers better. More opportunities for women.

Total Comp is great, but comes at a price

Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Total compensation is out of this world. Salary is above average for similar positions in this city, annual raises are far above average, annual bonuses are typically 7-10% of your gross salary, health benefits are great, 401(k) is great. It is based on this that I recommend us to people, but not without mentioning the below cons.

Cons

The managerial approach to subordinates needs to be overhauled. While I enjoy a culture based on safety, the employees have come to feel as though they cannot move since the senior office manager does not want the first recordable incident in some time to occur on his watch. Employees come to feel demotivated by the lack of freedom of expression and steady rejection of office activities that are presented to him. It's quite parental in nature. The safety system is used more to penalize employees who report discomfort instead of being used as designed, which is to get to the root cause of what about the employee's day is leading to the discomfort.

Advice to Management

Loosen up a little. Lets have some fun at work. We're a small office and can be a fun family, but you need to let us talk and have more time to get to know the people we sit next to.