Chevron

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The culture of the company and the people you work with make this company a great place to work for. The company tries to meet your needs personally and at work. The compensation is also to be better of then the competitors. I believe this this is a great company to work for.

Cons

If you are a business major, it is hard to advance. It may be difficult to change departments within the company. If you are a finance major, try to stay out of the accounting department. Although this is a great starting department, it is hard to move up or out.

Try to give younger employees a chance to shine in the company for better opportunities within the company.

762 Other Employee Reviews for Chevron (View Most Recent)

Chevron, a very comfortable place to work.

Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Excellent work/life balance - with commitment for same from company. Excellent 401k matching program, pension plan, and profit-sharing.

Cons

Large organization that takes a long time to make decisions. Little top-down direction - too much management by committee and consensus. Company is VERY process and procedure oriented - in many cases it fels as though the comapny is spending time doing business with itself.

Trim number of managers. Train managers to do more "walk-abouts". Provide more feedback during performance and salary reviews.

It's the reality, go deal with it.

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Job Security, Pay, I can't think of anymore...

Cons

The hours are horrible at the Richmond Refinery. As a normal human being, I would like to go to bed when it's dark and get up when it's light outside. Many people go to work at 5, 6am and it's the norm, and therefore you are also expected to go to work no later than 7am. So much for work/life balance. Sure, you can argue I get to go home early. But what about personal preferences?! I'd like to have a good night sleep according to my own biological clock and get up to the sunshine. However, I think this schedule is location oriented. Richmond refinery is one early bird, same as Houston I believe, but people in San Ramon generally go to work a lot later in the day.

There is NO standard, or company procedure. If you like a lot of uncertainties, surprises, then this is the place for you. Surprises come up all the time, and there is no one way to deal with it. You make up whatever form you need to fill out, and you write up whatever guideline you need to follow. The rules are changing all the time. For example, I was promised a certain amount of money for my relocation lump sum written on a piece of paper, company document sent by HR. Only when I was receiving the money in my paycheck did they inform me that that amount was incorrect and sorry for the "misunderstanding" but I'm suddenly thousand dollars short. If I had known this earlier, I would have weighed the different relocation options differently. How could I have imagined that even a written document is no good in this company?

Discrimination against your degree and major. If you were a petroleum engineer, you get paid the most, then chemical engineer, and then the rest of the engineering disciplines. Unfair right? Since you all end up doing the same work. Too bad, so sad, go live with it.

Give a clear scope of what you want.

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron