Chevron
www.chevron.com San Ramon, CA 5000+ Employees

Strategic Company that delivers for employees and shareholders

Pros- Great Benefits
- Exciting Work
- Strong visible values
- Technological Leaders
- Inclusive Culture
- Look after empoloyees (Strong Safety and Work/Life Balance)
- They try to have robust procedures for most activities
- Do what they say they are going to do
- Strategic

Cons1. Lack a robust Career Planning Process. Have a system of Career Development Plans, however do not then really use these to move/motivate people. Do not have good succession planning. For example on an international rotation, although the posting rotations are known they do not advertise and list opportunities well in advance so people can plan and works towards that move. I would think they could have a posting opportunities list with approximate rotation dates out 3 years, to highlight jobs that may be available. This would be motivational.
2. Unproven external candidates get better opportunities for benefits/salary than an internal candidate when applying for 'career ladder' roles. That is, the company will not automatically promote an internal candidate when they take up a new role at a higher level than their current role (even when they are selected for the role by their managers who deem the person capable of performing at that level). BUT they will employ an outsider (unproven and unknown) and pay them at the higher level. This is a ridiculous rule which demotivates internal candidates from seeking progression. This matter is constantly raised by employees yet is always 'fobbed off' by HR management as being part of the process of paying people for performance etc. It is clearly a problem, but it does not get addressed and continues to provoke discussion and anger amongst employees. The idea that the internal employee will eventually catch up is reliant upon them having proactive supervisors and people remembering where they have come from etc. The organistaion is so big and fluid that this is often forgotten and then we lose these people if we don't look after them. A better initial process on this issue could resolve these issues up front. Why would we not want to look after our internal performing employees??

Advice to Senior Management1. Keep the values strong and consistent - the progress made in the last 10years in this area is really shining through now.
2. Critically look at Career Planning and Development. I recognise that it is an area of focus in 2012 and 2013, but we need to start getting results and looking at sucession planning at more than just the top echelon.
3. Really have a hard look at the policy on internal promotion .... it is an area that is very emotive and it surely cannot be that hard to change. You might be surprised by how much this rule impacts motivation for internal performers. Look after our people first and external candidates later.

legal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chevron

Pros: Great place to work and get experience Cons: it was structured like a firm More

chevron is the best place for your career

Operator II (Current Employee)
    Minas (Indonesia)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for less than a year

Pros: my reason why i choice chevron,because chevron guarantee prosperity of… Cons: hard to join with chevron because must do so many… Advice to Senior Management: my advice just do the best Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Chevron.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chevron CEO John S. Watson. All reviews posted anonymously by Chevron employees.