There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Chevron is a dream come true

Current Employee - Intervention Engineer in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Intervention Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work in a booming industry. Move up in the company quickly. Frequent new opportunities Job security.

Cons

Extremely competitive and demanding environment, which is good and bad. Limited on choice of locations

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bad Managers, Good Pay

Former Employee - Communications in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Communications in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Not a lot of room for job growth and development unless you are a white male who likes to play golf and part of the "old boys'" club. I worked in Public Affairs for 3 1/2 years under one of the most tyrannical bosses one could ever imagine. Yelling, degrading comments, belittlement and snubs for quality assignments were all daily occurrences. I was even physically pushed once when my supervisor was having a bad day. I went to OMBUDS (an internal mediation service) about her, and their response was, "I thought she was getting better." Funnily enough, this was not her first time harassing her direct reports. She was demoted once before for the same thing, and has just been demoted again for doing the same thing to my successor. Failure to fire these type of people (yes, there are more of them) from this company is a great risk to employees and stakeholders alike. My parents have each worked at Chevron more than 35 years and have had their share of "horrible bosses." Beware.

Advice to Management

Make the workplace environment a better one for everyone and maybe you'll actually retain generation XYZ employees.

Job satisfaction depends on the business unit you work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9/80 flexible schedule, one of the few companies still with a pension, strong procedural guidelines for a multitude of process

Cons

Procedural guidelines for every single process. Very hierarchical, I couldn't just email my VP with an idea. Very function oriented, a Finance person couldn't go and do sales mid-career and then do business development and back to Finance, so in that sense you're pigeon holed. Ironically, the company leaders flaunt their "diverse" company experiences.

Advice to Management

Let workers pursue other development tracts otherwise when all the baby boomers retire you'll be in for a world of hurt