HES intern for Mid-Con business unit. Responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance and developing safe work practices.

Former Employee - HES Intern  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - HES Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good mentoring and advancement opportunities

Cons

Recruiters and HR do not perform their duties in a timely manner

Other Reviews for Chevron

Suffocatingly boring work environment

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

9/80 work schedule permits every three-day weekend every second week.

Cons

The work environment (IT) is unbelievably sterile. Employees barely acknowledge each other; the lack of personal contact in the offices is depressing. I have worked as a consultant and employee in many locations for other organizations, and this is the first time I endured such an oppressive atmosphere.
    There is little opportunity to exercise independent judgement and discretion - everything is process-driven and requires approval from multiple layers of management - communication by PowerPoint.
    While workplace safety is obviously a critical issue in an oil company, the company's obsession with it extends to every nook and cranny of it's operations - offices have safety instructions posted by the break-room toaster, employees will tell you to sit up straighter in your chair to be ergonomic, and the Wellnomics software installed on each computer force you to take to breaks, convenient or otherwise. Although the goals are laudable, there is a very heavy tone of "big brother" in the office.
    Their IT environment is far behind the curve: new laptops are now issued with Win 7, an upgrade from Vista enterprise (!), albeit with outdated IE. Their enterprise systems are mostly older versions. This was mostly humorous, except when one considers that it is hardly a resume-enhancing experience.
    I really found my time there very unrewarding, I'm glad that I moved on.

Your managers need to foster work relationships that emphasize the human aspects of the workplace.

Great Company

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than a year

Pros

They mean what they say

Cons

Decision making is very slow

Non

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!