Chevron

www.chevron.com
  www.chevron.com
There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

Employer of credit

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

- remuneration package is industry leading
- work life balance with 9 day working fortnight
- supportive environment with structured performance appraisals
- skills development opportunities good but usually from your own initiative

Cons

- limited career advancement opportunities.
- you HAVE to travel/relocate for career progression and likely to a difficult location for 1st and sometimes 2nd rotation
- remote from HQ and upstream BU, limited input to strategies
- selective application of Chevron Way principals when it suits can be irksome after a while
- very beaucratic, processes and reports for the sake of box ticking.

Identify what's really adding value and what is just noise.
Largely, keep doing what you're doing

710 Other Employee Reviews for Chevron (View Most Recent)

Best company I've worked for so far...

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Makati City (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Makati City (Philippines)

I worked at Chevron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked with Chevron for almost 7 years but I moved on because of career change.

The Chevron Way - this encompasses all the good things about Chevron. This is the foundation of their vision, values and strategy. The company has an effective way of inculcating this to their employees that I also apply the values in my personal life.

Safety - this is an utmost importance to Chevron. From processes, people and the environment. I love the sit-stand work station, the specialist who regularly checks if the ergo setup is right, the compulsory work pace breaks, the fit breaks, the culture that really values safety.

Cons

The downside I can share is specific to my experience and does not represent the whole of Chevron.

I wanted to move to IT but I had no IT background so it was a challenge. I believe there's just few of us who had this challenge because Chevron supports career development; there's just no opportunity at that time and perhaps the timing is not right.

Although my main reason for leaving is career change, I was also dissatisfied on the review of pay scale grade relevant to my role (projects) before I left the company.

This is specific to my experience and the business unit I worked for. As mentioned in "Cons", I hope you can have a program of moving people from function to another. Another is improving the review of pay scale grade and verifying if job descriptions are complete/correct because this serves as the basis for reviewing.

An area for improvement is recruitment as well. I included recruitment although this is not based on my experience but on the people I've had a chance to work with. Please do not hire overqualified staff because they will be unsatisfied after a short period of time and will leave the company. The benefit from the employee's work is less than the cost of hiring and training them when they leave. Make sure to evaluate the staff/job requirements given to you by the hiring manager and consider the long term plan of the business unit.

Overall, have enjoyed working here - lots of technical challenging assignments and good peer group

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Luanda, Luanda (Angola)
    Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Luanda, Luanda (Angola)

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diversified opportunities in all perts of the world

Cons

Large company, decision making slower than normal

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron