Chevron

www.chevron.com

Good place to work with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Planning Analyst  in  San Ramon, CA
Current Employee - Planning Analyst in San Ramon, CA

Pros

The best reason to work at Chevron are all the talented and fun people you get to interact with everyday. Whether working in a field location or in an office environment there is a very diverse group around you. I have always felt that 99% of the people I have worked with would lend a hand even when their own workloads are full.

I also really love the flexible work schedule, I could never go work for a company that doesn't offer a 9/80 schedule (you work 9 hours a day, 8 on every other Friday, and have every other Friday off). Also all of my supervisors have been very supportive of taking all my vacation time every year and needing to leave early for doctor appts or house issues.

I also think that our 401k package is very competitive. Its an 8% match for only a 2% contribution, and managed through Vanguard with very reasonable fees/good mutual fund options.

The great thing about an international company, is that there are opportunities everywhere. I think that the company works to ensure that its people are in jobs and locations where they would be happiest, obviously you can really see this in high performers. The work has always been challenging and different. I haven't really ever been bored in any of the various roles I have worked in.

Cons

I think that with any big international company it is very easy to get bogged down in red tape and bureacracy. I understand the need for processes but sometimes it does feel like things move really slowly. Also I think Chevron in general tends to analyze information to pieces, there is always a push to get more data and therefore we are further slowing ourselves down.

One of the big downsides of working for Chevron and living in California is the daily abuse from friends or even random people on the street about either how evil we are to the environment or gouging the public at the pump. Some locations where Chevron operates have a much better view of the company, but in California a good attitude towards any Energy company would be tough to find.

I see lots of visible diversity in the lower management ranks and very little in upper management. I think that Chevron needs to do a better job of showing women and minorities that there is room for them in the high ranks or else its tough to keep people long term. The Gen XYZers are completely mobile, and tend to not have as strong company loyalty as our parents did - they will bail if they think the grass could be greener somewhere else. Chevron needs to use all avenues to retain strong talent.

Other reviews for Chevron

Think twice before working here if you are an admin

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Ramon, CA

Pros

The 401K is great and the pay isn't bad and there is a fair amount of oppurtunity to move around within the company.

Cons

It's still an old boys club. Politics are huge at Chevron, it doesn't matter if you are qualified for the job, all it matters is who you know for the most part. I was told not to apply for a promotion because my counter part would get it over me because she had been there for 10 years longer than I had, even though she barely spoke English and could barely put a sentence together.

To follow the Chevron Way. They talk so much about it and how important it is, and yet it isn't enforced.

Great company, good management

Current Employee - Team Leader, IT  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader, IT in Houston, TX

Pros

Chevron has a really collaborative work environment and everyone is willing to help you if you ask for help. Chevron has also let me move from job to job across organizations so I could get a variety of experiences and I have been given a variety of challenging jobs. Generally top management is also very good. The flexible work schedules are also excellent. I especially like getting every second Friday off.

Cons

Like many companies, the quality of first line supervisors and middle management is hit and miss. If you work for a great supervisor you have a great time. If not, then not so good. None of the supervisors are bad but some don't really do a good job managing newer employees. Also, the whole company is extremenly busy and its easy to lose your work-life balance if you aren't careful.

Be more creative and invest more in alternatives to oil and gas.

There are newer employer reviews for Chevron.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!