The Chevron Way makes a difference

Current Employee - Earth Scientist in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Earth Scientist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Multiple career paths with a variety of opportunities to grow. Intellectually stimulating work that has an impact. Intelligent people who treat each other with respect. Chevron "walks the talk" regarding our values and the Chevron Way.

Cons

The decision-making process can drive some people batty, but the result is good decisions overall.

Advice to Management

Maintain the strong culture, especially as long-timers prepare to retire and new people join Chevron's work force.

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

1. Best company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company encourages each employee to take charge of their career and move around within company

Cons

Getting employed at company takes time and determination

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Information Management Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Information Management Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a reason Chevron ranks in the top 10 for best companies to work for. Good benefits like matching 401K, a retirement pension, they even allow their employees to give others monetary awards and recognition for appreciation. Unlike other companies that like to keep you at your job if you're good at it, Chevron encourages their employees to move around the company and develop your business acumen to be more well rounded. The work life balance is very good and I think for the most part, Chevron tries to develop a very good professional working environment with all the behavioral training that they do.

Cons

I can definitely see if being a bit competitive when it comes time to move positions. Chevron is always restructuring and making strategic moves to better their position in the industry so if you get too comfortable in your job, you'll be left behind.

Advice to Management

Everyone has a different career path at Chevron and you can choose either to be in individual contributor or go the management route, it's up to you. Obviously when you're dealing with a large company like Chevron, there's always politics in play but I don't think anyone values or does more for their people than Chevron does.