Highly Regarded

Former Intern - Trading Assistant in Chicago, IL
Former Intern - Trading Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Trading Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly respected firm in the derivatives industry. CTC employs some of the best traders in the business and the employee education programs allow the new guys to take advantage of the talent in the office. Senior traders actively participate in training which steepens the learning curve and reflects upper management's commitment to professional development. Unlike most of its competitors, CTC puts significant responsibility on its interns so there's no busy work to waste your time. Through training, corporate events, and amazing food they invest a lot in their employees, but at the same time they expect a lot in return. Due to the added responsibility CTC tends to pay better than many of its peers.

Cons

High pressure work environment. Thick skin required.

Advice to Management

Continue to be selective with recruiting. Also, foster better communication across divisions. There seems to be a social disconnect between front and back office.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work with smart developers.

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Chicago Trading Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, great co-workers, laid back

Cons

Would not pay market rates

Advice to Management

Be more competitive in NYC salaries

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Trading Company

Pros

I've been a software engineer for over 10 years in the Chicago area, and I've been at a big 5 consulting firm, and this is now my third prop trading shop. It's the best place I've been so far. - Great benefits, compensation - Work with incredibly smart people - Fully stocked kitchen, free breakfast and lunch(so much so that there is a phenomenon known as the CTC 15) - Passionate workforce. I can't say enough about this, I have yet to meet anyone at CTC that I thought didn't care and was just going through the motions. - Wonderful educational opportunities - The in house education department(3 full time people) is great.

Cons

- Promotions across teams can seem unfair. The bar for promotion on team A may seem much higher than the bar for promotion on team B. This has been an issue at every firm I've ever worked at or been a part of, but still, it happens. - Other than that, my gripes are very persnickety(like why can't we get skim milk in the upstairs fridge?)

Advice to Management

Rethink the quarterly meetings. The buffet is great, but the meeting itself can be a bit disjointed and drag on and on and on.