Chicago Transit Authority

There are newer employer reviews for Chicago Transit Authority

Project Specalist II

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Project Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy job more adminisrtative work

Cons

Hard for promotion and pay rise

49 Other Employee Reviews for Chicago Transit Authority (View Most Recent)

After a decade with bus maintenance I was laid off

Former Employee - Bus Maintenance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bus Maintenance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent health and vacation benefits. Overall most of the employees are good people to work wiht or for.

Cons

After more than a decade working for transit maintenance they laid me off. Lost my pension, vacation and medical benefits.

Many management decisions are influenced by local and state politicians. If employees do not have a godfather it's more difficult to get promoted, raises, or be retained during layoffs.

Bus operator

Former Employee - Bus Operator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bus Operator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits. Because it is a union job the pay and benefits are excellent. Not too much to the job either. Mostly dealing with customers. The driving becomes 2nd nature. Many wonderful people working there as well. Coworkers made it bearable on those horrible days.

Cons

The catch is that your are beholden to them schedule wise. After nine years of employment, there was no chance of improving the work schedule, including days off. Promotions meant starting over at the bottom of the seniority list as well. No one wants to retire and EVERYTHING is seniority based.
    Also I have never been at a job where it felt like they were trying to fire you the minute you walked in the door. Lot's of political bs. It wasn't what you know but who you know. Low man/woman on the list were first hit with layoff letters almost every year. The union needs to get out of bed with management as well.

Stop the infighting and realize your drivers are your bread and butter. If you were a driver, remember where you came from. Stop taking your budget crisis out on your drivers. If the buses don't move you don't have a job.

There are newer employer reviews for Chicago Transit Authority