There are newer employer reviews for Chicago Tribune

Chicago Tribune Media Group: Internship Assessment

Former Employee - Marketing and Event Production Intern in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Marketing and Event Production Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Tribune as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

* Outside of Chicago Magazine, the Marketing Department staff is the most friendly and caring staff I have met at all of my internships combined over the past year and a half.
* Looks amazing on a resume
* Great experience with projects and attending amazing events
* You feel happy and appreciated when coming into work as an intern

Cons

* Event Production staff is immature, and sometimes they think they are better than the interns that come in (They are delusional and dead wrong). Its important to remember the current event production staff is incredibly inexperienced and lack communications skills with interns. It's quite obvious when you work with them

* One event production team executive addmitted to me that a degree is nothing; its just a piece of paper. That has to be the dumbest comment I have heard in my entire corporate and educational career. He was a freelance event executive before, but it's obvious that he has no college experience. He was unprofessional, lacks corporate communications skills and sounded like a typical twenty something with a C average when he spoke. One of those talented kids, who got lucky when getting the job at The Chicago Tribune Media Group! This is not what Chicago Tribune needs right now; in terms of being a company in bankruptcy. He also kept saying "We don't need ya"; when I asked if they still needed me to attend the required event. I am an unpaid intern. Its not about wether you need me or not. It's about that fact that, I am working for your company as a free intern to gain experience. It is rude and unprofessional. Luckily an excutive in the office addressed him (cannot confirm).

* Terrible communication and organizational skills between Event Production and Marketing Department in regards too interns. That is the only flaw with the marketing department.

Focus less on personality being a reason to hire someone, and more about the quality of work. If you have an intern who can bring in the dough; hire them! Chicago Tribune is going through hard times right now and they need the best. Personality hiring can wait until later.

You need employees who can network for you, bring good company feedback (networking with people at events willing to give donations), do exceptional on client re-caps, and give great ideas for events and marketing projects. You also need someone who is well organized and detailed in their assignments. Someone who has great standing with major companies who are your competitors or not your competitors. Stop hiring these freelance people with talents. Freelance people who don't have any other pieces of knowledge or skills in the industry. Hire people who are educated within the field and do exceptional work.

Overall, this internship is great for all students. I think the marketing department is exceptional!!!! I learned so much, and they made me feel good about working a lot with no pay. They make you feel like it's worth working for free. Even with all of the experience you have, it makes it worth it even when you don't need any more experience than what you already have! I give the Marketing Department at the Tribune Media Group, Chicago Magazine staff, The RedEye staff, and Human Resources an A+ and more!!!

41 Other Employee Reviews for Chicago Tribune (View Most Recent)

Flagship of the top media company in Chicago.

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Tribune full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, committed people, significant opportunities in multiple media spaces. Diversified revenue streams give the company a longer time horizon than many.

Cons

An industry in turmoil leads to uncertainty, and that is certainly the case in the media business today. Probably not for the faint of heart.

Keep thinking mobile, digital, and diversified.

Leadership $#@#^

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Chicago Tribune as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent work space, nice location

Cons

The management doesnt know what its doing

You cant go bankrupt twice. Streamline

There are newer employer reviews for Chicago Tribune