There are newer employer reviews for Chicago Zoological Society

Employees are passionate about their work

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a pleasure working with others who are so passionate about the mission of the zoo and environmental education

Cons

As always with nonprofit, resources are limited

10 Other Employee Reviews for Chicago Zoological Society (View Most Recent)

lots of fun, but inconsistent by department

Former Employee - Audience Research  in  Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Audience Research in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at the zoo is amazing for all of the obvious reasons - you get to work outside, surrounded by amazing animals and people who care deeply about them. Management is typically friendly and flexible. If you pull together connections with keepers and other staff, you can develop some truly amazing relationships and experiences.

Cons

Staff are often under-qualified because zoos in general wind up with so many applications, despite low wages. There is very, very little room to grow a career unless you are extremely lucky and willing to make very little money. Different departments know little to nothing outside of their immediate area, which can be frustrating for employees and confusing for guests.

Get staff excited again to work at the zoo by offering more behind-the-scenes events and opportunities. Inform the staff about all of the great research and programs going on instead of having so many front-line staff who know little to nothing about the organization. Zoo keepers are great, but your ticket-takers and food servers are interacting with ten times as many visitors as the keepers. If your staff knew more and were consistently excited and approachable, the zoo would be perfect.

Great company but not for the long haul

Former Employee - Park Safety Officer  in  Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Park Safety Officer in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for the zoo for many years and I still have friends that I made through the zoo. I always had great people to work with and caring management.

Cons

There was almost no room for personal growth or advancement. The pay was subpar for the amount of time I had worked there. I was sometimes treated as an inferior.

wage increases, more full-time work,

There are newer employer reviews for Chicago Zoological Society

Worked for Chicago Zoological Society? Contribute to the Community!