ChicTo'sLCCorporate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work if nothing else is available.

Cons

Petty, underqualified store management, cliquish, unfair distribution of work and hours. Too much micro management in the form of time-consuming reports that do little to promote sales. Very gimmick-ie sales games. Over-priced merchandise, little manufactured in the U.S. Out-dated point of sale computers and programs.

Advice to Management

Sell more American made merchandise. Trust what you sell to be the draw for your customers, not the ridiculous "sales events" which fool no-one.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. great company

Current Employee - Finance in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Finance in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Chico's FAS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company takes care of its employees, great benefits and flexibility

Cons

not all departments have opportunities for career growth

Advice to Management

promote from within, many resources are under valued, under empowered

Try to get a feel for the store's environment before applying.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, OR

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Beautiful, (usually) comfortable clothes! -Being a "style expert" is fun! -You get to dress up for work everyday! I always felt like a model. -You don't have to wear the store's clothing (unless it's jeans) as long as you meet the dress code. -If you work with the right people (customers and coworkers), it can be like hanging out with friends every day. -If you're really good at sales, you will get decent bonuses. If you've sold products from your home like Mary Kay, Avon, etc., you will be familiar with how to build and maintain relationships with your customers. -Despite high goals, circumstances (such as low foot traffic) are considered during performance reviews. -The company's efforts for charity donations are commendable.

Cons

-This comment applies to my specific former store only. Every Chico's store is different. A store is only as good as its manager. Especially in a close-quarters, high-stress, sales-oriented environment. You are essentially working in a fishbowl. You can't just keep your head down and work independently. The manager must be strong enough to promote the company values, provide positive motivation to meet goals, manage the schedule properly, and handle conflict resolutions between employees. Some managers do this very well, and these stores are great to work in. Others do not. I had never worked in an environment where I felt I could not go to my manager with my concerns until I worked at this store. The original employees who opened the store were trained together except for the manager. What started as a friendly, team environment slowly eroded once the manager started at the store. Factions formed, accusations of favoritism were made, sales were stolen, credit for hard work was not given to the person who did a job and instead given to the "favorite", new employees were not hired in a timely manner to replace ones that left (which caused a staff shortage), backstabbing and gossiping among factions took place, the assistant manager mysteriously left immediately after giving notice instead of the date she had planned to leave, a threat was made about cutting hours if pre-approved vacation time was taken during a specific week, and the environment had become just downright hostile. I wasn't directly a part of these conflicts, but I couldn't escape them. I tried to get along with everyone, so I heard both sides of everything. I couldn't take it anymore. Because of both the hostility and the schedule conflicts, I chose to leave. I don't know if my former manager is still at this specific store or if these problems have been addressed. Things may have improved, but I haven't talked to my former coworkers to find out. A few are still there, however. Try to get a feel for the environment before you apply, and tread carefully. -Corporate expectations for sales seem impossible. Lots of different details are measured to maximize sales, and they are all micromanaged. Store managers are pressured regarding hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly goals centered around several different metrics. These metrics do make sense to an extent. However, there is little consideration for the big picture. Meeting one goal is undermined by not meeting another. One day/week/month's met goals can be trampled by not meeting the next. You can get a constant feeling of failure because of this. The resulting stress on management can be taken out on associates. -It's not specified by management that employees get five minutes of "travel time" for breaks, so employees are told they get ten minute breaks instead of fifteen. Another problem is that there must be two employees in the store at all times. This means that you won't necessarily get to leave the store for your break. -Getting a promotion doesn't change your job duties. It merely adds more expectations and responsibilities to your current job. Everyone who works in a store is given a sales goal, and manager goals are much higher than associates' goals. This can lead to a toxic work environment. -The company promotes a supportive, team oriented culture. This is undermined by the unwavering emphasis on making sales goals. If the entire store isn't on board with the company's culture then employee relationships deteriorate quickly. Good communication between employees is key. -Employee discounts are deep compared to other stores, but they are not enough to allow employees actually dependent on their income (not just working for fun or for extra income on the side) to buy the store's latest styles. If a store's management puts very high pressure on associates to wear the store's current clothes (as I've read in some of the other reviews), this creates problems. -Store layouts and visuals are constantly changing. Clothes on display are often folded in ways that are difficult for employees to maintain. Sale items can be difficult to keep up with if corporate doesn't authorize enough hours to schedule someone dedicated to inventory. I often rang up "surprise sales" because of the disorganization. Of course, that took away from my sales... -If you're not as good at sales (or you don't get the opportunity), the bonus system is unfair. You get taxed more when you get bonuses, so an $8 bonus doesn't help your paycheck at all. -Many stores expect full availability at all times and don't post schedules more than a week in advance. (My store was given permission to post the schedule two weeks in advance.) Find out if the store you want to work for does this before you apply because it will make planning ahead difficult.

Advice to Management

Rethink the sales goals: look at the big picture, stop the micromanagement (hourly sales goals are ridiculous when a particular store isn't getting foot traffic at that time), perhaps try upping the goals for the associates and lowering the goals for management, and make sure your values are being upheld by all levels of management.