There are newer employer reviews for Children Of America

Disappointing and disheartening as an employee

Current Employee - Senior Staff in Ellicott City, MD
Current Employee - Senior Staff in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no "best reasons" to work at the Children of America in Ellicott City, Maryland

Cons

Inexperienced, self-absorbed center management; concerned about shaving work hours and saving money for upper management. The children ARE NOT the primary concern as they should be in a child CARE center. The "care" is all about cash

Advice to Management

Very simply -- spend some actual time in classrooms; like an Undercover Boss. See what your teachers go through in an average week and help standardize care across classrooms. A standard operating procedure manual would make everyone's work so much easier with uniform care across the classrooms. Each classroom has a different style, depending on the teacher's abilities. Everyone in our center is still using their cell phones on a regular basis, including to set up and maintain outside babysitting for the families in their classrooms. Conflict of interest? You bet!

Other Employee Reviews for Children Of America

1. Best Place I have worked

Current Employee - Teacher in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We all work as a team, we get the job done. We care about the children and families. Curriculum exceeds the others I have used. There is room for growth in the company.

Cons

Nothing so far that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

2. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Children Of America full-time

Pros

I have nothing but good to say about current management and the school atmosphere! Management do their absolute best to meet everyone's changing needs on a daily basis. They do the best they can and work hard, a rarity in childcare these days. I feel listened to and know that management cares about the families and the staff equally.

Cons

The corporate office is not as quick as they should be to fix things in the building that have broken and as the company has grown we get much less guidance with everyday operation. Guidance is of great importance when turning over management at a high rate to open new schools. I have seen employees that are not necessarily exemplary get promoted to a management position and transferred to a new school because of corporates lack of guidance and supervision of its' management staff.

Advice to Management

Do a few extra reviews and observations at your schools of staff and management. Opening new schools will become unsuccessful if your current management doesn't know how to handle the large job they are given and those schools lose enrollment because of it. Oh, and pay your teachers better based on the state they are in! Trappe has some of the lowest pay in the area for childcare lead teachers!