There are newer employer reviews for Children & Families of Iowa

Great place to work with a great bunch of people working hard to make a difference.

Current Employee - Outreach Advocate in Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Outreach Advocate in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Children & Families of Iowa

Pros

Good People employed at all levels, making a difference in the lives of children and families is prevalent and primary focus, great benefits, overall great place to learn and grow.

Cons

The pay is average for a non-profit company.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing, you are leading by example and it shows.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. In-Home Counselor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of independence and trusted by my supervisor.

Cons

The pay wasn't that great.

2. Loved the work but management ruined it.

Former Employee - Domestic Abuse Advocate in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Domestic Abuse Advocate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The feeling that comes from putting yourself out there to assist the women and children in need is beyond amazing. This work was truly what I wanted to do. Very few of the coworkers were dedicated and incredible to work with. Pay was decent.

Cons

Management was terrible for the domestic violence shelter, TERRIBLE. Turnover is ridiculous because everybody ends up miserable from dealing with the more long-term workers and management. Pure incompetence on somebody else's part resulted in a pretty severe shoulder injury for me (placing a giant tub full of liquid on an above-head shelf (always a no) AND not labeling it? A+ safety, HAH!). After being injured, due to my coworker's laziness, I usually ended up doing the jobs I was restricted from doing as I healed. Often coworkers walked out at the end of shift and left those of us who were really dedicated to the job to finish their work, I was often there over an hour completing other people's work per management request. Listening to coworkers make fun of victims was heartbreaking. People called in all the time leaving us short-staffed and others refused to come in to assist, including management. Some of the clients were only there to abuse the services and some got special treatment. Resources were not always appropriately distributed. I could go on for days...honestly management and coworkers ruined this career field for me.

Advice to Management

I am not even sure where to begin. Simply hire better management? Treat all of your employees fairly as opposed to playing favorites? Assist your employees when they are short-staffed and struggling? Stop doing all the things you are doing.