Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

www.chop.edu

great!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

this was a great place to work. great atmosphere to work in. i enjoyed it. very nice facilities to work.

Cons

parking is a big pain. public transportation is better. traffic can be bad and annoying to have to deal with.

great place to work. totally recommend it. i would keep supporting employees and keep up the moral which can be hard to do.

Other reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

One of the best places to work??? Don't believe it for a minute!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Phenomenal benefits with low employee copays. Competitive salaries. Convenient to public transportation. Stable company making consistently high profit. Worthy mission.

Cons

While CHOP looks like a good place to work on paper, the reality is an entirely different story. I'm consistently amazed at how they manage to keep the truth from getting out and maintain this "top-notch" image that they have, and so glad to have found a forum such as this to warn people. I cannot speak for EVERY department there as it is a huge institution; I can only tell you what my particular department was like. I am reaching to find a word that could even come close to describing the utter insanity, incompetence and abuse that went on with the higher level of management in my department. People were hired without the specific experience/background they needed in order to be effective in their leadership positions, but their abuse of power was rampant. Employees were randomly targeted and SEVERELY mistreated. Hard-working staff was treated degradingly and condescendingly; pummeled with workloads that were not humanly possible to complete; harrassed by non-stop emails and other communication; and never given praise or appreciation for outstanding efforts, or rewarded with well-earned raises. There was no place for home-work balance whatsoever; long hours were expected. There seems to be no recourse for any of this, either, as everything at CHOP is highly political, and Human Resources is completely ineffective and bureaucratic. I would not work there again if it were the last employer on earth, and the horrors that I encountered and endured will remain with me for years to come.

Be involved! Find out what is REALLY going on in each department -- do not take the department executives' words without a thorough and fair investigation. Have some discernment in determining where the real trouble is coming from; then get rid of anyone who is not working to create and maintain a harmonious and supportive work environment, and appreciate and reward those who are going above and beyond.

I was proud to be an employee but my requests for job growth opportunities were denied.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Excellent benefits, top hospital, great cause

Cons

Slow to hire, very hierarchical

If HR tells employees its employees to ask for opportunities to shadow people and learn more about their jobs, managers need to grant the opportunity when asked. I was denied a great shadowing opportunity and thus decided to go to graduate school instead. I know I would have been a huge asset to the organization. Don't throw away your most valuable asset, your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Worked for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!