Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

www.chop.edu
  www.chop.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

I worked at CHOP as an intern

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly

Cons

The research center is newly started and still growing, but it should be a good place to start the career

101 Other Employee Reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (View Most Recent)

Company with good reputation for the healthcare they provide, but not necessarily to work

Current Employee - Research in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Facilities are up-to-date and so the working environment is nice. The mission to provide services to children via medical care, therapy, and to some extent medical research revolving around children is a good cause to be involved in.

Cons

During onboarding CHOP gloats a little bit to new employees about its stellar reputation as an employer mostly because they have a high # of applicants they turn away, aka selectivity. Only after onboarding can a new employee glean a lot of glaring problems within different departments, areas. HR will tell employees CHOP is great because they get benefits, the are "in the club" and now they can apply for promotions and other jobs internally. Secretly, Recruitment teams (which cover specialty areas within the hospital) that receive resumes for transfers/promotions/new job applications internally are chummy with Managers and so if you apply for a job at CHOP your managers will know. Rumors about certain managers also fly around that if you are trying to transfer, managers will find a way to terminate you before you can ever secure a new job. Thus the typical retention mechanisms at CHOP seem to be to scare people into staying in their job and doing it so that the hospital has less staff turnover. I have yet to talk to anyone at CHOP that related a story of a pro-employee retention strategy which is typically to find out an employee is considering other jobs and to raise their salary or restructure their job to make them happier in a current position.

CHOP seems very hierarchical with direct manager/supervisors having 99% influence over operations whereas at some organizations an employee would interact more with a direct manager and a manager 2 steps above.

Paranoid, Petty and Sneaky

Former Employee - Medical Staff Affairs Coordinator in University City Post Office, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I lived in town, so CHOP was very convenient. I found the pay was better than expected

Cons

OMG! Paranoia! BIG TIME! Petty and very, very sneaky.....In all my 25+ years of working, I've never NEVER been around woman this vicious.

None. The management (middle, upper and executive) either have a scan running or just look the other way. Try googling Roosevelt Hairston, Jr. to prove this.

There are newer employer reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia