Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

www.childrensmercy.org

Employees are undervalued. Part of your compensation is supposed to be feeling good about where you work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Well respected institution in the community.
Working for the good of children.
Tuition pre-payment for school, Avila Advantage on campus program.

Cons

You're expected to consider yourself lucky to work at such a well-respected institution.
Absolutely no chance of moving up from within. You must leave and then return in order to get a promotion of any type despite any education you gain.
I've worked here for 10 years and am finishing up my MBA. Members of my class have said they were actually told by HR that the education we gained while employed here is worthless in our application for promoted positions. They would consider someone from outside the institution before someone from within.
Major difference in viewpoints of people who have been here less than 5 years and those who've been here over 5 years. 5 years seems to be the point at which you are exposed to the rotten, ugly underbelly that is the good ol' boys political network of CMH. The happy, glossy facade hides an ugly, horrible, political minefield. Welcome to hell my friends.
Advice to those who want to work here: get in, get your education, get out within 5 years...period.

Create plans for people to grow professionally and to be promoted or keep watching good, talented people who share your vision and culture walk out the door to better opportunities.

Other reviews for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

If you don't enjoy playing corporate politics, then Mercy is not the place for you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The pay at Children's Mercy Hospital is pretty decent. Working to promote the health and wellness of children is very satisfying. There are ways to advance in the organization, if you play to the right people.

Cons

Management doesn't care about staff. I had a human resources employee tell me that everyone is expendable. The politics of the hospital is complex and gets in the way of doing a good job in some departments. Nurses and Doctors are treated well, but everyone else not so much. Nurses rule this hospital, so if you go against them, it doesn't go well. Management is in competition with eachother, so sometimes things don't get done, that should. If you believe in the "Mercy Way", things will go well for you at this hospital.

Communicate with your staff!

The best place in the city to work as a pediatric health care provider.

Current Employee - Pediatrician  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Pediatrician in Kansas City, MO

Pros

CChildren's Mercy, for the most part, is highly committed to providing top-notch care to children. As a physician you have access to the best in diagnostic and laboratory testing and specialists available for consultation for your patients. Most everyone that works here takes great pride in what they do, and therefore, everyone works with a great sense of teamwork and purpose. It is a beautiful campus that is always expanding to meet new needs. The hospital takes good care of its employees with great benefits and programs. The salaries are also very competitive and physicians have a nice educational stipend.

Cons

I often feel like I have no control over the day-to -day operations of how our clinic is run. I feel like the administration does not listen, or does not care what the people in "the trenches" have to say about what might make thinks run more smoothly. Also, like with any corporation, you have to deal with the BS things like the yearly anti-harrasement training, "diversity training", HIPPA training, ect.

Help us to run our clinic more smoothly and help us help our patients have better access.

There are newer employer reviews for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

Worked for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics? Contribute to the Community!