Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

www.childrensmercy.org
  www.childrensmercy.org
There are newer employer reviews for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Employees are undervalued. Part of your compensation is supposed to be feeling good about where you work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

Well respected institution in the community.
Working for the good of children.
Tuition pre-payment for school, Avila Advantage on campus program.

Cons

You're expected to consider yourself lucky to work at such a well-respected institution.
Absolutely no chance of moving up from within. You must leave and then return in order to get a promotion of any type despite any education you gain.
I've worked here for 10 years and am finishing up my MBA. Members of my class have said they were actually told by HR that the education we gained while employed here is worthless in our application for promoted positions. They would consider someone from outside the institution before someone from within.
Major difference in viewpoints of people who have been here less than 5 years and those who've been here over 5 years. 5 years seems to be the point at which you are exposed to the rotten, ugly underbelly that is the good ol' boys political network of CMH. The happy, glossy facade hides an ugly, horrible, political minefield. Welcome to hell my friends.
Advice to those who want to work here: get in, get your education, get out within 5 years...period.

Create plans for people to grow professionally and to be promoted or keep watching good, talented people who share your vision and culture walk out the door to better opportunities.

41 Other Employee Reviews for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics (View Most Recent)

If you don't enjoy playing corporate politics, then Mercy is not the place for you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

The pay at Children's Mercy Hospital is pretty decent. Working to promote the health and wellness of children is very satisfying. There are ways to advance in the organization, if you play to the right people.

Cons

Management doesn't care about staff. I had a human resources employee tell me that everyone is expendable. The politics of the hospital is complex and gets in the way of doing a good job in some departments. Nurses and Doctors are treated well, but everyone else not so much. Nurses rule this hospital, so if you go against them, it doesn't go well. Management is in competition with eachother, so sometimes things don't get done, that should. If you believe in the "Mercy Way", things will go well for you at this hospital.

Communicate with your staff!

The most magical place to work!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

I personally love working with the kids. I truly look forward to coming to work to see what cute kiddos I am going to meet and take care of for that shift. In addition, I am very proud to work at this hospital. It was just recently rated one of the Top 10 Places to Work in Kansas City, which I think speaks for itself. This hospital works very hard to encourage their employees to move up into a more senior leadership role. They also makes you feel appreciated and proud to be a part of an organization that is so well respected in Kansas City. If anyone has had a child come to Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, I have never heard a negative comment. Almost everyone has had a positive experience regarding their treatment at this hospital. I am proud to say I work at Children's Mercy.

Cons

I honestly do not believe their are any downsides. I can not imagine myself working in any other hospital or clinic than my current location. All of the staff members work together in order to give these children the best possible care. I have several friends who work at other nearby hospitals, who are unsatisfied with their New Nurse Orientation process, scheduling, and hospital policies; however, I have not had a single complaint to give with my hospital. If I were to pinpoint the hardest downside to working at Children's Mercy Hospital, I would have to say that to see some children in pain, or terrible situations, that would be the biggest downside. I just have to keep in mind that I am taking care of these children to make them better to get through the hard shifts.

I would have to say that the New Graduate Nurse Orientation is fantastic. I truly felt very prepared coming off orientation to be working by myself. The classes and instructors were very helpful and made the learning fun and easy to remember. I really feel as though I am a part of a great team at this hospital, that I am truly making a difference in the lives of these children.

There are newer employer reviews for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Worked for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics? Contribute to the Community!