Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

WONDERFUL PLACE TO WORK!

Current Employee - Business Manager in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Business Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

Everything. This is a place where the kids REALLY DO COME FIRST! From management to staffers, everyone understands this and works together.

Cons

Sometimes upper management have different ideas about how to achieve the same goal. Occassionally it takes too long to come to concensus and it leaves middle managers scrambling to implement their decisions.

Other than that...this place is wonderful!

Keep doing what you are doing. Make decisions together.

45 Other Employee Reviews for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics (View Most Recent)

Employees are undervalued. Part of your compensation is supposed to be feeling good about where you work.

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

Well respected institution in the community.
    Working for the good of children.
    Tuition pre-payment for school, Avila Advantage on campus program.

Cons

You're expected to consider yourself lucky to work at such a well-respected institution.
    Absolutely no chance of moving up from within. You must leave and then return in order to get a promotion of any type despite any education you gain.
    I've worked here for 10 years and am finishing up my MBA. Members of my class have said they were actually told by HR that the education we gained while employed here is worthless in our application for promoted positions. They would consider someone from outside the institution before someone from within.
    Major difference in viewpoints of people who have been here less than 5 years and those who've been here over 5 years. 5 years seems to be the point at which you are exposed to the rotten, ugly underbelly that is the good ol' boys political network of CMH. The happy, glossy facade hides an ugly, horrible, political minefield. Welcome to hell my friends.
    Advice to those who want to work here: get in, get your education, get out within 5 years...period.

Create plans for people to grow professionally and to be promoted or keep watching good, talented people who share your vision and culture walk out the door to better opportunities.

If you don't enjoy playing corporate politics, then Mercy is not the place for you.

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

The pay at Children's Mercy Hospital is pretty decent. Working to promote the health and wellness of children is very satisfying. There are ways to advance in the organization, if you play to the right people.

Cons

Management doesn't care about staff. I had a human resources employee tell me that everyone is expendable. The politics of the hospital is complex and gets in the way of doing a good job in some departments. Nurses and Doctors are treated well, but everyone else not so much. Nurses rule this hospital, so if you go against them, it doesn't go well. Management is in competition with eachother, so sometimes things don't get done, that should. If you believe in the "Mercy Way", things will go well for you at this hospital.

Communicate with your staff!

There are newer employer reviews for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics