ok

Former Employee - Server in Alamogordo, NM
Former Employee - Server in Alamogordo, NM

I worked at Chili's

Pros

good money, plenty of hours

Cons

managers and their inability to treat everyone equally

Advice to Management

train your low level management better.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good job for students; Decent tips; Flexible Scheduling

Former Employee - Server, Bartender in Hadley, MA
    Former Employee - Server, Bartender in Hadley, MA

I worked at Chili's

Pros

Chili's offers flexible scheduling- especially convenient for students, parents, etc. The money is decent, the clientelle is so-so. If you show you are a hard worker and willing to put in the effort the management will give you better shifts and probably promote you to bartender soon enough. A fun place to work. Fast-paced and hardly ever boring.

Cons

Not really any benefits associated with the job. You can't work over 40 hours. Certain managers don't care about the restaurant or their employees- but other managers try really hard to keep the place in good spirits.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into employee benefits and you will see less turnover. Offer incentive programs to servers, cooks, and hosts to better the experience of the guest.

Management provided minimual support for growth within the company, but I learned very valuable customer service skills.

Former Employee - Host/Runner in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Host/Runner in Louisville, CO

I worked at Chili's

Pros

The relatively short period of time customers spend eating allows employees to interact with a wide variety of personalities. This experience taught me tricks to bond with chatty Cathys, introverted customers, new parents, teenagers, businessmen, elderly folks, and just about any group you could think of. Practicing tailoring the customer expereince to *individuals* rather than following a strict formula is a great reason to work at Chili's--no matter where you end up in your career, people skills will always come in handy.

Cons

The turnover rate, at my location anyway, was much higher than I have expereinced anywhere else. Training was often streamlined for efficiency, but usually resulted in poor job performance and frustrated employees. For those that stuck around, management told us what we should work on to advance, but rarely followed through on their end. For example, an expereinced server was working toward an assistant manager position for about 3 months before she applied for a management position with a competitor; they opened a new store about 6 months after she started and she was promoted to general manager.

Advice to Management

The pay, benefits, and growth opportunties are all average at best. I believe it would be a major morale boost if the leadership made more of an effort to show their workers that their contributions to the business were appreciated. More formal recognition (even without monetary compensation) would add to overall job satisfaction.