Choice Hotels

Stay Away

(Current Employee)
Silver Spring, MD

Pros* Work life balance
* Can work from home if you get a good boss

Cons* Awful health benefits (Cigna- not accepted everywhere, $1200 deductible before anything is covered, then only 80%)
* No more tuition reimbursement
* Closed the cafeteria
* Just laid off 80 people
* Company culture is changing to be more "big" than "family" oriented
* Closed company gym

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter removing 90% of our benefits and laying off 80 people, perhaps the best thing I would suggest is to refrain from jokes about the benefits we do keep (monthly fruit delivery), or telling all associates to "get over 2011 and move on to 2012". And then giving Managers and Above bonuses = 16% + of their salaries (a usual bonus was 10%) feels like "blood money" to many of them. That is a difference of normally getting $9k per manager to getting $15k this year (director and above levels getting around 30% bonuses).

When people walk out of your All Associates meeting half-way through, it is a sign that the changes you are making are pushing your employees straight out the door. Relying on the "poor economic climate" as a method to scare the good employees to stay in-house doesn't work in Maryland where jobs are still available. Perhaps offering benefits back to employees would be a start, but many of us won't be around to wait for that to happen. Treating non-executives this bad is a poor decision- especially since we are the ones supporting them.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels

Pros: Good work atmosphere, no micro management Cons: few opportunities for promotion, not enough feedback Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It was monotinus.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels

Pros: Benefits are good, people are nice. The pay is decent. Training is well done… Cons: The calls are all very similiar. The franchissees are rude and barely speak english and… Advice to Senior Management: Enforce a penelty on the franchisees that are constantly rude to the call center… More
There are newer reviews on Choice Hotels.

Worked for Choice Hotels? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Choice Hotels reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Choice Hotels CEO Stephen P. Joyce. All reviews posted anonymously by Choice Hotels employees.