There are newer employer reviews for Choice Hotels

After a decade at Choice, were I to interview there now, I would never have accepted a position

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You will handle more than one position, so you will learn quickly how to juggle and prioritize
When you start, your pay will be lower than competitive but decent enough for some
The office is new and clean, and given how many people keep leaving, there is plenty of room and parking

Cons

Once you master more than one position, you will be expected to stay at that pace and receive even more responsibilities. At this point, you may kiss your work-life balance goodbye and your salary will be far less than your worth. Intense amount of managerial greed currently growing. Cold environment full of miserable, used-up employees and ignorant temps/contractors/interns.

Management is on a tear to ruin the company with failing outsourcing, replacing full time workers with contractors with limited knowledge and allowing high levels of attrition, which is completely unnecessary. They are thinking short-term only for their own gain. Advice for Board Members is to look at what it takes to maintain growth long term and seek the truth from management about current strategies. 8 people can't produce code for this website for as many projects as they expect to be achieved for long. It's good to be lean; it's not good to be emaciated.

reviews filtered by
  1. Like many others have said, the environment is unprofessional.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Simple job, time to do other things while managing front desk and customers on slow days. Good for a student or someone with an online-based employment. The computer training was thorough but had I not brought my own laptop, they didn't have a PC for me to use to train with... Manager was accessible, unlike other employees - but still didn't have much of an idea what was happening. The housekeepers were personable and nice people.

Cons

As others have said here, it all begins with the management, it's attrocious – The management and many of the co workers at least at the location I have worked at are unprofessional and discourteous. Not only to their peers but to the customer as well, which is unacceptable and disconcerting. The shift managers are venomous and appear to be looking out only for themselves, will give you no advice or help whatsoever. The peers at the property I worked at were unable to help in any way. There was no standard and everyone made their own rules and standards, so to the day there is no clear answer on almost anything. I.E. one person would tell me to do this, manager would tell me different but I would get in trouble with both for doing one or the other - inexplicable. As an entry level employee, it was impossible to get anything done for the customer which is the most important thing. The schedule when I was hired was told to me to be monthly, but since hire it has been on a week to week basis. I wasn't told when I would be working on holidays until the day before. Unacceptable and unprofessional.

It's impossible to live your personal life with an unprofessional staff who will call you thirty minutes after a shift ends because there is no communication between co-workers, no communication exists between middle-management and upper or between them and regular workers - making the outcome a total and complete disaster for a new hire.

It seems seniority dwarfs hard work or experience at this property, you are constantly asked to cover for someone who needs a "day off" randomly, the morning of and that sort of thing.

Shape up the employees, develop a standard and don't be afraid of women workers, this is a huge problem. The women who are pregnant at this hotel get extra-special treatment by the male manager.

2. receptionist

I worked at Choice Hotels part-time (less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, opportunities to move up/work other areas

Cons

hotel upgrades need, especially security

more organized