There are newer employer reviews for ChooChee

Loved the people I worked with, management showed no appreciation

I worked at ChooChee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Friendly, casual co-workers
- Weekly yoga / workout sessions
- Intelligent project prioritization
- Reasonable expectations

In general, working at choochee was very challenging in that good way where you get to really work out your brain to solve some interesting problems. Plus the staff was very collaborative (with some exception... see cons). For a while, felt valued, and appreciated for the hard work we were all doing.

Cons

- Long hours (expected in a startup, but is a con nonetheless)
- Lack of direction in the overall picture, shifting gears a lot of times due to management decisions
- Unreasonable treatment by some managers in regards to certain employees and projects
- Management made technically unsound decisions and anyone who tried to advise them would be shut down. Basically the managers wanted things done their way, and couldn't take advice from the engineers. Which resulted in a lot of butting heads between each other and between engineers and themselves.

I don't want to make this a rant, just trying to be objective. Not even taking my own experience into account, just how some really hard working, strong work ethic employees were treated really made everyone feel down, and sometimes attacked for disagreeing. Requesting a day off was virtually impossible even for really big reasons, and if it was granted, they made the employees feel like they owed them for it.

Some instances where an employee gave his technical recommendation to something that should be implemented, but the request was shut down as usual. Then a few months later, when it breaks, he's blamed for not warning them (he did, we all did).

Personally, I wouldn't go back, I like to feel respected, and be able to discuss different options back and forth without anyone getting offended. It's just silly to me to hear a manager yelling at an engineer in another room over anything! This is a workplace, if we wanted to be yelled at, we'd join the military.

It's a real shame too, cause ChooChee had a lot of promise of being a great place to work, and if they'd only listen to their employees, and understand that a few people were ruining the experience for everyone, this review would've been very different!

Listen to the employees. When we all complain about something, or someone, we're not being spiteful. It was because of a genuine care for the company. All of the employees cared about choochee and treated it like their home, and a lot of people who are no longer working for the company, would've been glad to stay and give it 110% every day of the week if certain changes that management was made aware of were made!

5 Other Employee Reviews for ChooChee (View Most Recent)

Previous software engineer at company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at ChooChee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance; occasionally long hours but typical for a start-up
    Fun and exciting technologies
    I received a very competitive comp package for the market (had 3 offers at the time)
    Great employees to work with, had a lot of fun

Cons

Slightly disorganized but got better when I left.

Note: I left because I relocated to be closer to family. Would still be there if I could.

Software engineer

I worked at ChooChee

Pros

Good work life balance at the work place

Cons

Most of the managers yell if you ask questions

Get ur act together