ChooChee
choochee.com Mountain View, CA

Loved the people I worked with, management showed no appreciation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ChooChee full-time for more than a year

Pros- Friendly, casual co-workers
- Weekly yoga / workout sessions
- Intelligent project prioritization
- Reasonable expectations

In general, working at choochee was very challenging in that good way where you get to really work out your brain to solve some interesting problems. Plus the staff was very collaborative (with some exception... see cons). For a while, felt valued, and appreciated for the hard work we were all doing.

Cons- Long hours (expected in a startup, but is a con nonetheless)
- Lack of direction in the overall picture, shifting gears a lot of times due to management decisions
- Unreasonable treatment by some managers in regards to certain employees and projects
- Management made technically unsound decisions and anyone who tried to advise them would be shut down. Basically the managers wanted things done their way, and couldn't take advice from the engineers. Which resulted in a lot of butting heads between each other and between engineers and themselves.

I don't want to make this a rant, just trying to be objective. Not even taking my own experience into account, just how some really hard working, strong work ethic employees were treated really made everyone feel down, and sometimes attacked for disagreeing. Requesting a day off was virtually impossible even for really big reasons, and if it was granted, they made the employees feel like they owed them for it.

Some instances where an employee gave his technical recommendation to something that should be implemented, but the request was shut down as usual. Then a few months later, when it breaks, he's blamed for not warning them (he did, we all did).

Personally, I wouldn't go back, I like to feel respected, and be able to discuss different options back and forth without anyone getting offended. It's just silly to me to hear a manager yelling at an engineer in another room over anything! This is a workplace, if we wanted to be yelled at, we'd join the military.

It's a real shame too, cause ChooChee had a lot of promise of being a great place to work, and if they'd only listen to their employees, and understand that a few people were ruining the experience for everyone, this review would've been very different!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. When we all complain about something, or someone, we're not being spiteful. It was because of a genuine care for the company. All of the employees cared about choochee and treated it like their home, and a lot of people who are no longer working for the company, would've been glad to stay and give it 110% every day of the week if certain changes that management was made aware of were made!

Previous software engineer at company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at ChooChee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great work/life balance; occasionally long hours but typical for a start-up Fun and exciting technologies I received a very competitive comp… Cons: Slightly disorganized but got better when I left. Note: I left because I… More

Unfocused and amateur company with lack of strategy or direction and plenty of racial/sex/religion biased management

Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at ChooChee full-time for more than a year

Pros: The only good thing was the timely pay and an occasional yearly bonus taxed… Cons: Change of course and strategy every few days Lack of structure or business process Racial bias and racial/sex/religion polar preferential personnel hiring Forget about your life: expect no… Advice to Senior Management: Please care for your employees! Something has to be done… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on ChooChee.

Worked for ChooChee? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ChooChee reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by ChooChee employees.