Proceed with caution

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Meaningful work Get to meet people from all over the world Lots of flexibility Compensation has improved in the past few years

Cons

Uniquely challenging culture Little or no room for growth There is a great deal of uncertainty right now at the upper levels of leadership, and it's hard to tell what things will look like here once the dust has settled

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees Provide opportunities for growth; figure out a way for the non-ordained to have a meaningful career

Other Employee Reviews for Christian Reformed Church

Proceed with caution!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Feeling like you are doing work that is meaningful. Feeling like you are part of something larger than yourself. Working for God, so to speak.

Cons

Frustration with management (or lack thereof). (I'm speaking more specifically of my particular agency; I think the upper levels of management seem to be competent.) Also, the "best" above becomes the thing that makes it so much more difficult when things are NOT good. It's easy to become frustrated/burned out. Benefits are good--no yearly deductible on medical, but the 25% co-pay can add up over time. I've paid a lot out of pocket this year. (speaking for the US side of our offices; there is also a Canadian office.)

Advice to Management

Offer a clear path for advancement. Be aware of what is not working within different departments.

2. Not my idea of "Christian"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Christian Reformed Church full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good. Most of the people were nice. Vacation time was good. Working with overseas programs was interesting.

Cons

Where do I start? First, my idea of "Christian" would include fair and honest. The international staff handbook showed how unfair it is. They get company paid: housing, children's education, company car, family travel and (on top of all that) MONTHS of 100% severance pay -- just to name a few of their perks. U.S. staff doesn't even get unemployment because churches don't have to pay into the Michigan system. When there are changes coming, managenent lied about it with the excuse that the details haven't been worked out.- especially when they changed the medical insurance benefits.

Advice to Management

They should really look at the special treatment of sub-groups. Supervisors are in serious need of training. The entire system really needs to be evaluated.