There are newer employer reviews for Chubb Corp

Do More With Less

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Warren, NJ
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

Great peers across the various disc
Flex time (hours, work from home)
Financial solid
Proud to be part of company that focuses on core competency of Underwriting to make Profit and provides great claims customer service
Formal mentoring programs avail

Cons

Layoffs - job uncertainty, work continues to increase without regards to less hands to do the job
Politics, politics, politics!
Lots of red tape to move initiatives forward
Not many managers demonstrate good leadership
Benefits are expensive and full coverage not available (only up to 90%)
Very poor communication down the staff levels - transparency is rare
Diversity is mostly about topics that get awards, diversity of thought is not typically appreciated
Training Opps - haphazard, low budgets (not sure what dept / division has this: http://www.chubb.com/careers/chubb1661.html)

Kudos on getting Chubb to a strong financial place. Now it is time to take a few steps back and realize that there's a cost to keeping talent and that is investment in the HUMAN resources that make the company run. Institute a culture where expenses can be managed while at the same time treating people like people - not machines.

167 Other Employee Reviews for Chubb Corp (View Most Recent)

After Finnegan took over, Dismal. The climate changed far worse then expected.

Former Employee - Senior Programming Analyst and Project Manager in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Programming Analyst and Project Manager in Warren, NJ

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

All pros are prior to Mr. Finnegan taking over. My department encouraged new ideas and your personal and career growth. I had flexibility to manage my projects and our expertise was valued as input in the departments goals. Our department worked well together and supported each other in our areas of expertise. This allowed you to be exposed to all aspects of our departments work and allowed you to grow in different skills that would broaden your skill set. I was proud to be working for Chubb and the department I was in. Our personal time was well respected which made the few times you needed to work on your time understandable. I and I think I can speak for our department did not mind and in fact was encouraged to give that extra when needed because of that respect.

Cons

After the CEO changed to Mr. Finnegan the climate changed for the worse. your expertise in your field did not matter and was not respected. Often training was given in an unfair manor. All our reviews changed to the negative for the very same high performance. The writing was on the wall that they were justifying our departments downsizing. In the meantime the belittled and abused the employees. Personal time, pre scheduled time off was no longer respected while you keep your commitments. It turned from the best example a company can be to the worst a company can be. The only advantage to Chubb is if you are a minority.

If there is any of the old good management left, I suggest you do as some other high profile companies have done to save their company. Buy out the upper management and directors that support this movement. Just as Chubb Institute was destroyed in the name of making it more efficient Chubb Insurance is following the same fate. Wake up and save the company before it is too late.

My experience at Chubb was excellent for about the first 20 years I worked there. The past 5 years have been different.

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Warren, NJ

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

Work/Life balance; Flexibility with hours

Cons

Lower salary than other companies; Downsizing/Outsourcing

There are newer employer reviews for Chubb Corp